Building New Salt Water System

Be a responsible reefer
Forum rules
Before you start posting in this forum, will suggest you to go through the forum rules
HERE

Building New Salt Water System

Postby indracalcutta93 » Mon May 02, 2016 9:05 am

Hi Friends

I am just a new member in this forum and going to start a SW system. I am in the FW since ten years. I like DIY . My old FW system's top filter, lighting hood are DIY and working very well. Now for the coming saltwater system I am in a dilemma, should I build a sump with ATS or only ATS ? My system will be as follows :
Main tank 84'' (L) X 22'' ( B) X 24'' ( H) with live rocks .
Sump 36''x 12''x 16'' with Protein Skimmer ? and live rocks.
My initial Fishy friends will be some Clowns and Tangs with Cleaner Crews . Later I would like to have few angels, gobies and available Corals and softy.

Now the questions are : Is it possible to run the filtration process only with ATS? ( without protein skimmer )
If possible than where i should keep it ? in the sump or top of the main tank ?

Kindly reply

Thanks
Indra
indracalcutta93
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter Share on Orkut Orkut

Re: Building New Salt Water System

Postby bullzi » Tue May 03, 2016 8:44 am

Hi Indra,

Indeed it is possible to run a system without skimmer, I might not go with skimmer for mine but as huge as a system like yours, using only ATS might not be effective enough, you will need large enough ATS or multiple ones to handle the bio load.

Regarding placement of ATS, I plan to keep it in my sump only. Your system is 190 gallons+ so at least you need 190 square inches of screen with both sides lighted. You can google and find out lots of information about DIY ATS.

All the best.
bullzi
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby bullzi » Tue May 03, 2016 8:52 am

I forgot to add volume of sump - approx 27 gallons so total of 192 + 27 = 219 gallons. So at least you need 219 square inches screen with both sides lighted or 219 * 2 = 438 square inches of screen with single side lighted.

I would also suggest to increase sump volume, that would be worth it in the long run.
bullzi
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby indracalcutta93 » Wed May 04, 2016 8:55 am

Many thanks dear bullzi for your prompt answers and valuable suggestions.

I am now drawing the plan in a vector based software, and doing the set up design. I will post it up after finishing it. Please give your insight and other details on that kindly. And yes I have googled and found many information, based on that I will DIY my TANK, SUMP,ATS.

I could not increase the sump size because of available tricky space. Other wise I have to place Sump and ATS on some further away space connected by PVC Pipes, may be on the 1st floor roof under a shade. Than there would be temperature problem. Therefore at first I am going to building two ATS , each 10" X 12" with both side LED lighting in the sump(10" X 12 " X 2 x 2 lighted sides = 480 square inches ) By the way I am going to place the Tank in the maze nine floor.

Warm Regards.
indracalcutta93
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby bullzi » Wed May 04, 2016 9:41 am

I am also in the verge of making an ATS. Two ATS sounds good. I am looking for a light source for ATS. Anyone knows what led fixture to use? Or which PLL?

Lets share the difficulties faced with everyone so that all our ventures can succeed with prompt resolutions.
bullzi
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby indracalcutta93 » Thu May 05, 2016 5:40 pm

I have done some LED works ,but for different purpose, I think it can be done for Aquarium's ATS also. Only problem is getting suitable power driver /regulated power supply. I will post my progress.
indracalcutta93
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby indracalcutta93 » Fri May 13, 2016 6:47 am

My Marine Aquarium's conceptual drawing is here. 7' Length X 24 " High X 22" wide, with Sump 36" X 12" X 16" High and ATS 15" X 10 " X 2
Please feel free to give suggestions Dear Seniors . I am also doing ATS 'design and will post soon.

Reading and searching is going on, will start building main tank soon.
Keep well
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
indracalcutta93
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby indracalcutta93 » Fri May 13, 2016 6:48 am

from top
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
indracalcutta93
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby indracalcutta93 » Fri May 13, 2016 7:01 am

in details
indracalcutta93
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby indracalcutta93 » Fri May 13, 2016 7:02 am

in details
indracalcutta93
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Next

Return to Saltwater Discussion