Need suggestions regarding a marine FOWLR start up!!!!

Be a responsible reefer
Forum rules
Before you start posting in this forum, will suggest you to go through the forum rules
HERE

Re: Need suggestions regarding a marine FOWLR start up!!!!

Postby Sunit » Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:00 am

And if you want refractometer go for erma japan and you will need to get the one which measures salinity
kEEp iT KoooooooooooooooooooooooooooLLL.
Sunit
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter Share on Orkut Orkut

Postby bullzi » Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:22 am

Thanks for the suggestion. Will look for it.

:)
bullzi
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Need suggestions regarding a marine FOWLR start up!!!!

Postby soumyaghosh » Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:55 pm

Hows it going with your tank @bullzi ? We are waiting to see your progress. Did the tank start cycling.
One thing, you are not using a Protein Skimmer for now. But without it how can u manage to cycle such a big tank. You Nitrates and PO4 needs to be removed by skimmer. Please recheck
Regards,
Soumya Ghosh :)

Marine tank :- 48" x 30" x 20"
soumyaghosh
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby bullzi » Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:13 am

Soumya, thanks for your reply. I will post in details with pics this weekend. My tank is on 19th day of cycling. I will check and post the current NH3, NO2, NO3 and Ph readings. I don't have a PO4 kit right now, hope to get one soon.

I have googled some threads, there are lots of tanks that don't use skimmers, still they are working quite efficiently. Regarding Nitrates, I am using Marine Pure block so it might come handy, lets see, for phosphates, I will be using phosguard in my sump, lets see how it works, else, inside a couple of months, I might add skimmer if budget permits.

Also, I plan to have a refugium, that should take care of NO3 and PO4 a bit with algae growth, I am cleaning the rocks weekly so that most of the debris are out and lots of PO4 is leeching out already. I will do that 3 days more before setting up the scape. I am using tap water right now but once cycling completes, I wish to do 100% water change with mineral water, that should take care of NO3, PO4 for some time I hope.
bullzi
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby soumyaghosh » Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:30 pm

Mineral Water???? If it is the bottled one like Brisleri or others, then you can get Brown Algae soon. Those are high on silicates. I did the same mistake, now I am using RODI water for my reef, but for FOWLR you can use RO atleast.
Skimmers remove/separates Fish poop and other source of PO4/NO3 from the water. I was wondering how those dirts are going to get separated from the water??? I might be missing something you have mentioned already.
;)
Regards,

soumyaghosh
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby bullzi » Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:50 pm

Well, I got advise from every LFS to use mineral water, I did not see any brown algae in their tanks, I at least saw 6 tanks. Anyway, it is better than tap water I guess, are you having a separate RODI unit? Please share the brand and price. I want to have a look.

Yes, you are absolutely right about skimmer, it removes organic wastes, not inorganic, lots of tanks are there which have no skimmers but still going on strong. I wish to use Phosguard for PO4 removal, Purigen and Marine pure cube for NO3 removal as of now. I might add the same skimmer you have if needed. Thats why asked you the sump chamber size for the skimmer.
bullzi
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby indracalcutta93 » Mon May 02, 2016 9:24 am

Dear bulzi,

I am following your thread regularly. Eager to see you improvements, photographs of tank.
thanks in advance.
indracalcutta93
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby bullzi » Mon May 02, 2016 2:08 pm

You have to wait more I guess. I did not get any light as of now, also my tank has just completed cycling, yet to arrange the rocks.

:)
bullzi
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby soumyaghosh » Fri May 06, 2016 2:23 pm

Sorry for the late reply. I have Reef Octopus NB150 skimmer. Its a beast. Price was 11500 but i think it got increased few days back. But u can check with some people if they have old stock. Yes u can use those but how are u planning to remove the detritus which settles down at the bottom of the tank and sump? It would be really interesting to know.
Sorry for the size... Really missed it...will try to give it to u. Actually i was pretty novice and buro da decided on the size n all. I just trusted him, now I understand that a bit of more study could have made it better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Regards,

soumyaghosh
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby soumyaghosh » Fri May 06, 2016 2:27 pm

indracalcutta93 wrote:Dear bulzi,

I am following your thread regularly. Eager to see you improvements, photographs of tank.
thanks in advance.

Enjoy these while his tank is ready. Also for more pics follow my reef thread or u can find it on FB

https://www.facebook.com/groups/804756119667839/
Regards,

soumyaghosh
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

PreviousNext

Return to Saltwater Discussion