Need suggestions regarding a marine FOWLR start up!!!!

Be a responsible reefer
Forum rules
Before you start posting in this forum, will suggest you to go through the forum rules
HERE

Need suggestions regarding a marine FOWLR start up!!!!

Postby bullzi » Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:27 am

Hi all,

After keeping freshwater fishes for approx. 5 years, I want to dive into the saltwater world. Also, my parents are really willing to have the same.

Please find the details as following:

Tank size - 4 feet * 2 feet * 1.5 feet
Sump size - 4 feet * 1.5 feet * 1 feet (Is it ok?)

I have gone through some threads on FOWLR set up as well as reef set up. I have some basic questions:

i) How important is RO/DI water?
ii) How important is protein skimmer?
iii) How important is high end wavemakers? (Jebao RW15 for instance)
iv) What should be the sump chamber sizes/number of chambers?
v) As I wish to keep mandarin fish in future, need to provide a natural live food source for them including coppods, amphipods, hence, planning to build in sump refugium. Please guide me regarding this.
vi) I have a T5HO fixture ready initially planned for a planted set up. I need to know how many/which color lights are needed for my set up.
vii) I will keep the tank in ground floor. Even in hot summers, the temperature does not exceed 30C. Will it be ok for FOWLR?

Also, please guide me regarding necessary equipments needed to have healthy tank in the long run.

Even if I cannot buy everything high end right now, I will consider adding them eventually based on the importance.

I hope that the tank size is good enough for a stable system in long run. Thats the max size I can afford.

Thanks in advance for all your suggestions.

Niladri.
bullzi
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter Share on Orkut Orkut

Re: Need suggestions regarding a marine FOWLR start up!!!!

Postby bullzi » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:25 am

Anyone please to put his/her thoughts?
bullzi
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby Kalyan » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:28 am

@mithun @el batty @xarg0n @krishnendu
ImageImage
Kalyan
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby el batty » Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:43 pm

i) How important is RO/DI water?

Ans: RO water has no source of PO4 (source of unwanted algae) and other heavy metallic ions, so it is preferred to use it instead of plain TAP water. If you are planning to use TAP water, you need to "treat" it. Although if you are prepared to combat algae issue, this should not be a factor.

ii) How important is protein skimmer?

Ans: Since you are focusing on FOWLR, it is needed to take out most of the organic particles left behind in the tank which will be food for algae and other organisms both wanted and unwanted. So, i would say, if you have high bioload on your tank and a very good skimmer, it would atleast keep the water parameter stable by taking care of some of the problems.

iii) How important is high end wavemakers? (Jebao RW15 for instance)

If you are not planning for a reef, i wouldn't suggest investing on a high end wavemaker. But i would also not recommend sobo, as they suck water due to polarity issue and the problem gets solved when you switch off and then on again. Boyu is a reliable brand when you are looking for alternatives. In a marine tank, flow is very important...so if not high end wavemakers, get a couple of the 8000lph ones atleast.

iv) What should be the sump chamber sizes/number of chambers?

Ans: It totally depends from person to person...the most basic design is having 3 chambers and 2 bubble trappers. If you plan on making a dsb or refugium, then its a different story and that can be discussed later on when the time comes.

v) As I wish to keep mandarin fish in future, need to provide a natural live food source for them including coppods, amphipods, hence, planning to build in sump refugium. Please guide me regarding this.

Ans: Ok, so for a refugium, you would need to make a seperate chamber with low flow or disturbance within the sump with light which will let you grow macro algae and all. I would recommend an ATS (Algae Turf Scrubber) instead of a refugium. If you are using a high end skimmer all the "critters" will be skimmed out with the water, so that needs proper planning. A stable ATS will provide enough food for your mandarin and other marine inhabitants which are dependent on these copepods and amphipods.

vi) I have a T5HO fixture ready initially planned for a planted set up. I need to know how many/which color lights are needed for my set up.

Ans: Cool white (6500K of planted ones...although 8000K or 10000K are preferred) and Blue (Actinic/Royal Blue). It will be a hard thing to find Actinic T5HO but they are very much present. I know someone using 4' Aquazonic T5HOs.
If you are planning for a simple FOWLR, 2 set of 1:1 in each fixture will be preferred. So, a total of 4 tubes in 2 fixtures with each fixture having both colors in them.

vii) I will keep the tank in ground floor. Even in hot summers, the temperature does not exceed 30C. Will it be ok for FOWLR?

Ans: Yes, that will be ok for FOWLR but i wonder how long you will be content with FOWLR and start introducing softies and that time, NO, it would not be okay.

Hope these helps...if not, feel free to ask and use the tag function like kalyan did for faster response.

Cheers!
Regards,
Subhadeep

aninda wrote:I believe in karma. That means I can do bad things to people I don't like and assume they deserved it.
el batty

Postby bullzi » Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:36 am

Thanks Subhadeep @el batty for your reply. It is really helpful.

Now some additonal queries:

I) So RO/DI water is preferable for the job, right? If I need to use tap water, how to treat the water? Any thoughts on that? Also, RO/DI water is very low ph. In that case, how to maintain high ph of sea water?

II) I am planning to get Reef Octopus 150INT skimmer. It should be fine? It is according to BRS suitable for 150 gallons. Mine should be less than 120 gallons including sump.

III) For the refugium part, to grow micro algae and pods, we need some nitrate and phosphates, right? In that case, using phosphate, nitrate removers are needed or not?

IV) I wish to have three chambers in sump. Water from tank directly comes to skimmer part, then goes to return pump section (middle part), from return pipe, one line goes to refugium. Is the design ok? I think in this case there is less chance of the pods being skimmed out.
Also, any more chambers needed in the sump?

V) I have read in most of the forums that DSB can be disastrous in long run if not proper care is taken. Also, it is not recommended for beginners. Hence, I will go for shallow depth substrate. Now, which one to use? Aragonite/crushed coral/Live sand all are there as viable options.

VI) I can manage to get 1 Jebao for now, may be add another one after 4-5 months.

VII) I will keep FOWLR for at least 2 years, then decide if to add corals or not. In the meantime, I will manage funds for a chiller. So, not thinking of in that line right now.

VIII) Live rocks are enough for bio filtration? Or I need additional bio filter media in sump? In that case I will use another chamber in sump. Do not want to add a mechanical filter. Skimmer can skim out the particles, right?
bullzi
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby bullzi » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:04 am

Any suggestions?
bullzi
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby bullzi » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:41 am

Any suggestions @el batty

Also, what return pump in sump should be used with NWB 150INT?
bullzi
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby el batty » Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:49 pm

regarding return pump for a skimmer....any pump wont do. You need a special type of bubble blaster pumps which you will get with the skimmer itself. Otherwise it wont give the desired effect.
Regards,
Subhadeep

aninda wrote:I believe in karma. That means I can do bad things to people I don't like and assume they deserved it.
el batty

Postby el batty » Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:09 pm

I) So RO/DI water is preferable for the job, right? If I need to use tap water, how to treat the water? Any thoughts on that? Also, RO/DI water is very low ph. In that case, how to maintain high ph of sea water?

Ans: You will need to dose either 2 PART Dosing or have to do commercial dosing. That will buffer up the ph also, aragonite sand will act as a buffering agent, so nothing to worry about that. We have many commercial phosphate removers. So, unless your water is very hard, plain aerating will do.

II) I am planning to get Reef Octopus 150INT skimmer. It should be fine? It is according to BRS suitable for 150 gallons. Mine should be less than 120 gallons including sump.

Ans: Your water volume will be big as you have a big sump. I dont think that will cause any problem too. If you kept the bioload less, plain partial water change after a regular gap would have sufficed and you could have saved a lot there.

III) For the refugium part, to grow micro algae and pods, we need some nitrate and phosphates, right? In that case, using phosphate, nitrate removers are needed or not?

Ans: Thats tricky. You will grow these macro algae so that they can consume the N radicals from the water. But if you use these chemical stuffs, you might end up starving them.

IV) I wish to have three chambers in sump. Water from tank directly comes to skimmer part, then goes to return pump section (middle part), from return pipe, one line goes to refugium. Is the design ok? I think in this case there is less chance of the pods being skimmed out.
Also, any more chambers needed in the sump?

Ans: That will also cause most of the dirt and other "stuffs" in the skimmer and this can damage the skimmer. If there is no prefilter, then it would damage your skimmer beyond recovery. Once your tank matures, you will find stuffs everywhere. I have snails in my sump as well as some sponge colony. they passed the sponge mechanical filtration and then went inside the second chamber. In my first chamber, i find bristle worms with size over 4" every time i clean them. So, water inside the skimmer should always go through the first chamber of physical filtration.

V) I have read in most of the forums that DSB can be disastrous in long run if not proper care is taken. Also, it is not recommended for beginners. Hence, I will go for shallow depth substrate. Now, which one to use? Aragonite/crushed coral/Live sand all are there as viable options.

Ans: If you are planning to cycle properly, i would suggest aragonite sand. If you want to cut cycling the tank short, i would say go for LS.

VI) I can manage to get 1 Jebao for now, may be add another one after 4-5 months.

Ans: You can skip it for now too if you want, but this is always a welcoming decision to invest in flow.

VII) I will keep FOWLR for at least 2 years, then decide if to add corals or not. In the meantime, I will manage funds for a chiller. So, not thinking of in that line right now.

Ans: Best of luck waiting for 2 years :P

VIII) Live rocks are enough for bio filtration? Or I need additional bio filter media in sump? In that case I will use another chamber in sump. Do not want to add a mechanical filter. Skimmer can skim out the particles, right

Ans: Wrong. The need for mechanical filtration is already explained in the skimmer section. If you are not willing to make a mechanical section, atleast make sure that the water from the tank drains in "filter socks", the exact micron can be directed towards by xargon/najib.

Before making the sump, do discuss it here and get it seen by xargon/mithun da/najib

Happy Fishkeeping!
Regards,
Subhadeep

el batty

Postby bullzi » Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:32 pm

Very helpful reply indeed subhodeep.

But now I am more confused regarding sump design. I can use filter socks as mechanical filtration. I want to have simple sump design.

Also regarding sump pump I was referring to return flow pump from sump to tank. Which one to use?

Please can you provide some link for sump design? I have gone through some having refugium and mine was based on that only.

What should be the pipe sizes for intake and outtake?

@el batty
bullzi
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Next

Return to Saltwater Discussion