Nano Reef for Beginners??

Be a responsible reefer
Forum rules
Before you start posting in this forum, will suggest you to go through the forum rules
HERE

Re: Nano Reef for Beginners??

Postby Tirtha » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:43 pm

mithun wrote:wait a minute guys.. hold your horses... What do you mean by 26 gallon nano reef?

i havent seen anybody in kolkata or otherwise in India to maintain a "reef" in less than 50 gallon.. forget beginners.. Reef means assortment of hard and soft corals.. you cant really maintain that in 26 gallon.. def not for beginners..

And if you want to start a less than 50 gallon marine tank, only way to go for beginners is skipping corals altogether.. go for FOWLR or FOWDR with a few button polyps and mushrooms and anemone.

in FOWLR and FOWDR you can really skip all those DSB, ATS etc hitech stuffs... Just got for a well designed sump with a good skimmer, monthly 30% WC and you are sorted.. keep a fine sandbed on 2-3" in the tank and go for either 70Watt 10000K MH or a few t5HO with actinic suppliment for better coraline growth.

Having said that, you cant really feel the charm of Marine in FOWLR .. if you plan bigger I would be glad to help ;)

Now you are throwing open challenge to me. It's making things more interesting.

Coming to that 26G part. You missed my 20g sump which makes thing almost 50G. And yesterday I changed the plan and thought to go for a 30G along with almost same size sump. ;)

Being a beginner, i am really not sure about the actual defination of the reef. Being honest, I haven't yet start reading about Corals. So will not go into that debate. But whatever it is, I want to keep the basic straight before thinking about the Corals and Live stocks. Being a planted guy, I dont much care about fishes, so will keep that part minimal.

Being in Hyderabad, I found, it is a matter of just 2 months when it is not possible to keep the temp below 26 using only fan. If I start executing the plan, next month, it will take easily 3 months or more, to setup everything, curing the LR and cycle the tank properly. If I look for a July time frame, then I am safe for next 9 months. Which will give me enough time to get a chiller.

Now, coming to the equipement part, as far as I understand, to start with I need,

1. Tank
2. Sump
3. Salt
4. Water (RO/DI)
5. LR
6. Aragonite plus seeding LS
7. A good marine test kit
8. Skimmer
9. MH (2*70watt) (need suggestions on correct spectrum and kelvin rating. If not mandatory, I dont want to go for those deep blue 20000K MH)

So please suggest me decent brands and help me to look at the starting budget.
Regards,
Tirtha

A Bad Attitude is like a Flat Tyre. You cannot go anywhere until you change it.
Tirtha
Admin
Admin

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter Share on Orkut Orkut

Postby Tirtha » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:51 pm

krishnendu wrote:Third chamber for DSB - Deep Sand Bed

DSB This is the place where beneficial critters grow apart from biological filtration. It should be approx 4inch in depth spread over minimum 1sq feet area. Water level over this chamber should not be more than 2 inches , it should be designed properly so that water flows over the surface of the DSB.

Fourth chamber for return pump.

Cont........

This part is interesting. Any specific reason why the water level should be on 2".
Regards,
Tirtha

A Bad Attitude is like a Flat Tyre. You cannot go anywhere until you change it.
Tirtha
Admin
Admin

Postby xarg0n » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:28 pm

I think other way around ... higher water volume helps the dsb sit tight and compact faster and the anaerobic zone is created sooner. thats why dsb s are more efficient in dt than sump. not sure if I am missing some other principles here for which as less as 2" water height must count.
Thanks & Regards..

Sourav...

"If you want to do something in a better way, do it yourself !" --Nepoleon Bonaparte
xarg0n
Dedicated KAC Member
Dedicated KAC Member

Postby mithun » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:28 pm

You need 50 gal main tank volume.. There is a reason why only having high water volume doesnt help.. Limiting main tank volume limits your rock and bed volume.. Even if you have a 30 gal sump, effective water volume in sump during normal operation will be less than 10 gal. So do yourself and your big peoject an important favour and get a bigger main tank. A 3feeter at minimum. Once you finalize the size I will let u know the equipments.
Mithun
M:8583865385
Napoleon Bonaparte wrote:If you want something done in a better way, do it yourself.

My 200Gal reef journal
mithun
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby mithun » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:34 pm

@xarg0n dsb in main tank is an outdated concept.. Not only main tank live stock disturbs dsb continuously making is very less effective but also water movement in bed is very less.. In sump dsb is effective even if that takes couple of weeks to compact and water layer on dsb should be as thin as possible so that whatever water that passes through sump has more probability to come in contact with dsb. Upper layer of water remains untreated by dsb. This is why recent trends in reef tanks are starting to be bare bottom as well. Also it helps giving main tank a very clean look
Mithun
Napoleon Bonaparte wrote:If you want something done in a better way, do it yourself.

My 200Gal reef journal
mithun
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby xarg0n » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:46 pm

live stock distrubing dsb is a sure thing, but in sump dsb should not have less flow for maximizing the denitrification by keeping the water longer in contact ? again if we have more flow arent we actually supplying more oxygeneated water by the turbulence and continuoisly disturbing the upper layer ? anyway never deployed a dsb . but have deployed a diy coil denitrator a month back.Heard these take 3-4 months to mature depending on bioload.
Thanks & Regards..

Sourav...

"If you want to do something in a better way, do it yourself !" --Nepoleon Bonaparte
xarg0n
Dedicated KAC Member
Dedicated KAC Member

Postby mithun » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:38 pm

No matter how long I keep water above dsb, the upper layer wont get denitrified coz its not in contact with dsb. When the water will pass faster over a dsb with a less water column height, the water column will surely get some amount of denitrification. The idea is to make dsb area as big as possible so that faster moving can be compensated by more spread.

You cant anyway make dsb effective in main tank coz dsb needs to be "deep". And its deep enough to be called dsb when its 5"+ deep. That would waste a lot of water space in main tank. Nobody does that anymore and when they used to make thinner bed they were doing it wrong.
Mithun

My 200Gal reef journal
mithun
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby adarshnarsaria » Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:44 am

Dipankar wrote:
arnab wrote:I am maintaining an one feet cube for last 6 months. I would say it is a success.

honestly I dont spend much time in checking proper parameters, once the tank was settled everything came into place. Yes I check nitrate levels sometimes, but with low bioload and very little feeding it helps.

I have had an anemone (carrot), clown and damsel. I have a HOB and a power head and few LEDs. I do 50% WC evry month.

What I have learnt is less experiement you do your tank remains ok more.

Need detail insight about your I' cube it will help everyone with low budget
Sorry Tirtha for putting my interest in your thread

Yaa indeed that will help a lot low budget peeps like me. I too am interested.... :ymhug:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------Aquariums for Life----------------------------
adarshnarsaria
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby xarg0n » Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:36 am

now you are interested in reef as well ? basically it seems you do not have any goal set. You have aleady opened multiple threads in last few days, open another for reef. we will try to answer you.
Thanks & Regards..

Sourav...

xarg0n
Dedicated KAC Member
Dedicated KAC Member

Postby adarshnarsaria » Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:05 am

xarg0n wrote:now you are interested in reef as well ? basically it seems you do not have any goal set. You have aleady opened multiple threads in last few days, open another for reef. we will try to answer you.

just posted that for future reference mann

i cant understand why you so mad at me ??? :-??

You sort of underestimating me i've already started planting and have finally got myself a fermented CO2 setup as well. \m/

I dont know why you are angry on me. ~x(

and yes about the DIY Canister I procured all the materials, my exams are knocking at the door and as soon as i get enough time I'll get it built as well. So do not question me I might be impulsive enough but do not question my aim neither my ability. :-t :-\

I can see you are "Personally" angry on me for some reasons that a I do not know, but keep it personal in my threads and PMs and not in other's threads. :-t :-q ~x( :-@ [-x :ymbringiton:
----------------------------Aquariums for Life----------------------------
adarshnarsaria
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

PreviousNext

Return to Saltwater Discussion