High Nitrates plz help

Be a responsible reefer
Forum rules
Before you start posting in this forum, will suggest you to go through the forum rules
HERE

High Nitrates plz help

Postby lovepercula » Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:39 pm

My nitrates level have shot up to 80 ppm since last 2 weeks even with 30 % water change every week.
before that my nitrates level used to be between 10 - 20 ppm.
Feeding is every alternate days. No fish loss
Tank age 11 months
14 Gallon Nano Reef Setup
2 false perculas , Electric blue Damnsel , purple fire goby , GBTA
lovepercula
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter Share on Orkut Orkut

Re: High Nitrates plz help

Postby ashim1610 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:21 pm

What is the possible reason of such spike in a 11month mature tank??? Any idea bro?
Is your display tank containing dsb?

When 30'/. wc/ week can't decrease the conc. of NO3 .....there must be something wrong. :-?

O.K. I can suggest you, what I have done and got a good result.
Its well known ''vodka method''.
Though sugar or viniger methods are also well known, but these methods are quite controversial and there is no perfect direction of use and proper results of them.
Where as ''vodka method'' is quite discussed and I got many good remarks 'bout it from various communities worldwide.
Now the process ......what I've applied too.

1st calculate your entire water volume......water volume of DT+sump+skimmer. Also calculate how much tank area has been occupied by your lrs. If its seems tough, then minus 30'/. water volume from gross and u can get an approx net volume.
BTW, good protein skimmer is the key in this process.......except it you never get an ideal result.

Now first measure your tank NO3 level wth good kit. Then for 1st 3days add 0.1ml vodka for per 25G or 100lit net water volume. That means if your system contains 200lit water, then you have to charge 0.2ml vodka per day.

Then for next 4days, add 0.2ml of vodka for per 25G or 100lit of water.

After 7days, re-measure NO3 level. If its start dropping then carry forward the running vodka volume per day untill NO3 seems undetectable. If its not working after ending of 1st week then just double the volume of vodka per day for next 7 days and re-check then. Also add additional 0.5ml vodka after each subsequent week without any doubt. That means in the 2nd week your dose 'll be 0.7ml per 25G.

You can get a heavy skimming in this period, its normal.
Also, few says they got a little cloudy water in first phase. But if its too cloudy, that means it a huge colony growth of denitrifying bacteria, and you must stop dosing. Water 'll be clear within next 24-48hrs.

Its just my suggestion as I've got good results in case of NO3 & PO4 conc. reducing.

But, each tank is differant and water chemistry is differant. So, b'fore start it read more bout vodka method. Never use vodka with any flavour. Most cheap vodka can do it very well.

Now ball is in your court.

Best of luck........ :-)
THERE IS NOTHING AS TRANSPARENT AS WATER. BE TRANSPARENT, AND WORLD COMES TO YOU THE SAME. ALWAYS KEEP SMILING.....

REGARDS..........
ASHIM.
ashim1610
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby lovepercula » Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:05 pm

thnks fr ur suggestion Ashim bt my problem is i dnt use a protein skimmer i totally rely on water changes ...my main concern is why suddenly the spike is happening even after doing a 30 % water change the level is going back to 80 in a week ..i have a G BTA bt tht looks fine to me n i also have seachem matrix and carbon in my system
lovepercula
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby ashim1610 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:13 pm

Well, in that case its quite tough to detect the reason......IMO.

May be there is some trouble wth your test kit........better when you are estimating NO3 wth your kit, try to re-measure the same sample of water wth another test kit from your local mariners friend or a marine seller.
If the result remain same, then think carefully, that where is the main prob.
As you know that NO3 is the end product of nitrozen cycle, so It can't arise suddenly and itself. There must be something in your tank which is decaying everytime. May be something beneath your rocks or sand bed, which is a continuous source of NH3 & NO2 in a huge level..............
You have no skimmer, so there is no chance to skim those things, and it is regularly forming NH3, NO2 & then NO3.
And as its a mature tank full of beneficial bacts......so you can't found a high spike of NH3 or NO2. Only your are getting over stock nitrate level.
So, think what is the main source of NH3 in your tank.

Lastly, all the marine guide books, web pages always saying that marine fish needs 2-3 time feeding in a small quantity each time.
But you are feeding every alternate day.
It may be reduce fish poops in your tank. But to reduce tank pollution, underfeeding is not good for your pets health......IMO.

Best of luck.....
THERE IS NOTHING AS TRANSPARENT AS WATER. BE TRANSPARENT, AND WORLD COMES TO YOU THE SAME. ALWAYS KEEP SMILING.....

REGARDS..........
ASHIM.
ashim1610
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby lovepercula » Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:45 pm

i am in a fix coz i havent changed anything in the tank for last few months except the carbon and the temperature ..my fishes and anemone seems to be doing well ...i do have green algae issue but since i started using RO water the algae has been slowly dying ..can it be the problem.. ?coz i scrape out the algae bt i am not able to remove all of it off the sand bed while doing water change. Shall i change the matrix ?
I will also try to feed the fishes more often.
lovepercula
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby soumyaghosh » Sat Nov 07, 2015 6:13 am

Great info....I will start dosing today...
Regards,
Soumya Ghosh :)

Marine tank :- 48" x 30" x 20"
soumyaghosh
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby Murtazadhanera » Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:10 pm

Lol nice way to intoxicate your fish. :p
Better put an ATS. Algae turf scrubber. You can plainly depend on lr and ATS with heavy stockings with heavy feedings. Your readings would be zero.

Most of the peeps go for vodka dosing. It has few drawbacks. They don't go for sugar or vinegar coz there is no or less literature for that. In my past experiences sugar works the best.
Murtazadhanera
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Return to Saltwater Discussion