5 feet tank

Document the life cycle of your planted tank in details step by step
Forum rules
Before you start posting in this forum, will suggest you to go through the forum rules
HERE

5 feet tank

Postby subhendu421 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:33 pm

5 feet X 1.5 feet X 1.5 feet
Front and the two sides are ultra-clear glass - 8mm
Back and the bottom is saint gobian float glass - 8mm.
The Tank is ready. Did the water testing - it was OK
For filtration I am using 2 housing of Aquaguard pre filters. In one I will have mechanical filters like sponges and synthetic cotton plus plastic scrubbers. In the other I will be using for bio filtration with lava rocks and ceramic rings.
Plumbing done.
The main pump will be Tulu Pump submersible - 45Watt with 1200l/hr and 6m head. Cost Rs 750/-
I will be using another small powerhead packed with lava rocks.

Still undecided about substrate. I will do a planted tank. ADA is very costly. I will need about minimum 6 bags ie 12,000/- - impossible at this moment. Other option is Dirt with gravel. But I am still in doubt how to make dirt. If anyone can help me to prepare cheap dirt and from where can i get it
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
subhendu421
New KAC Member
New KAC Member
 
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:47 am
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 2 times

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter Share on Orkut Orkut

Re: 5 feet tank

Postby subhendu421 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:12 pm

Got coco peat for substrate
I would be using a layer of clay at the bottom (2 cm thick). On top of it1" thick coco peat mixed with NPK for initial nutrition followed by 0.5" potting soil. 2 inch 2-3 mm gravel top as a cap.
I want some suggestion on this substrate as this would be my first dirted tank
subhendu421
New KAC Member
New KAC Member
 
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:47 am
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: 5 feet tank

Postby kumar » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:02 am

subhendu421 wrote:The main pump will be Tulu Pump submersible - 45Watt with 1200l/hr and 6m head. Cost Rs 750/-

dada that is a very hot pump, 45W is too much of heat, equivalent to a mini heater. Also 1200l/h is very very less, you dont really need 6m head, 2m should be more than sufficient. That way your flow will increase. Bottom line, use a more effecient pump, it will still be around or less than Rs750.

subhendu421 wrote:Got coco peat for substrate

This is the worst idea dada, using it is like using flakes of wood. It will always try to float and no real benefit.
Instead go to garden store and buy a well known famous product called "Soilrite" the best you can get in your budget.

subhendu421 wrote:I would be using a layer of clay at the bottom (2 cm thick).

this is ok

subhendu421 wrote: On top of it1" thick coco peat mixed with NPK for initial nutrition

totally useless dada, dont try it. It will dissolve very fast and no real life span. Instead may cause algae also. Instead make NPK mixture and dose weekly/daily.

subhendu421 wrote:followed by 0.5" potting soil. 2 inch 2-3 mm gravel top as a cap.

This is cool.

%%-
%%- %%- Happy plant growing %%- %%-
%%-
i luv fish + u luv fis=we luv wish

rahul wrote:It should not be like today planted ,tomorrow cichlid,day after tomorrow blackwater, next community, then marine ,then business and end up dying useless. Whatever you do do it well
kumar
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC
 
Posts: 789
Joined: Wed May 16, 2012 8:52 am
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 28 times

Re: 5 feet tank

Postby kumar » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:06 am

Also dont forget, your next best investment should be a good quality pressurized CO2 system for best long term results
i luv fish + u luv fis=we luv wish

rahul wrote:It should not be like today planted ,tomorrow cichlid,day after tomorrow blackwater, next community, then marine ,then business and end up dying useless. Whatever you do do it well
kumar
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC
 
Posts: 789
Joined: Wed May 16, 2012 8:52 am
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 28 times

Re: 5 feet tank

Postby subhendu421 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:42 am

Filling the tank. The water is little cloudy.
I am also not doing NPK as suggested by Kumar.
As with substrate , I have gone with coco peat + vermicompost. Lets see
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
subhendu421
New KAC Member
New KAC Member
 
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:47 am
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: 5 feet tank

Postby hrishi007 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:42 am

Change the white substrate please..
User avatar
hrishi007
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC
 
Posts: 366
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:47 pm
Location: Guwahati
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: 5 feet tank

Postby kumar » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:45 am

hrishi007 wrote:Change the white substrate please..


It will either be filled up by plants or get aged and turn to natural color ;)
i luv fish + u luv fis=we luv wish

rahul wrote:It should not be like today planted ,tomorrow cichlid,day after tomorrow blackwater, next community, then marine ,then business and end up dying useless. Whatever you do do it well
kumar
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC
 
Posts: 789
Joined: Wed May 16, 2012 8:52 am
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 28 times

Re: 5 feet tank

Postby subhendu421 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:47 pm

I had planted the aquarium approximately 10 days before.

I had waited for 5 days for new leaves to come out from my amazon sword, dwarf grasses started to grow a cm longer, and crypts gave out new leaves. I then did a 50% water change . Waited for another 5 days, did another 50% water change.
And today I had introduced 7 male guppies and a female guppy.
If the female guppy gives birth to new ones, I will remove all the guppies from this tank and then I will introduce tetras and rainbow.
Yes, I do not have any test kits. In fact 15 years back when I joined this hobby, there were no test kits in India (at least I did not know it).
I have three tanks and this will be my fourth. All the tanks are planted. The first tank a 3.0 X 1.5 X 1.5 feet have a gold fish and approx 30 guppies. Yes I lost few fishes in my first tank. Then I learned the harder way. My goldfish tank has annubias nana and amazon sword.
Even today with no test kits, I run my tanks, as I believe its all about nature.
Leaves growing means ammonia is being converted, and nitrate being used up.
Guppies giving birth means that the water condition is good.
This method is a long method of waiting for a month to introduce your choice fish. But then, its my way.
I hope to keep you updated
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
subhendu421
New KAC Member
New KAC Member
 
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:47 am
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: 5 feet tank

Postby kumar » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:53 am

sir one thing that has changed since 15years is mobile cameras we hobbyists us. Please try taking a steady picture of the tank :) nearly all of them are blurred

Yes, even I agree, people just spend a lot on test kits which half of them arent accurate.

And BTW, guppies also grow and breed in gutters of Mumbai, so I dont think guppy giving babies has any relation with water quality. Better thing to look is if the bacteria bloom/cloudy water has cleared up.

I like your way, even I do it so similarly :) please keep us posted
i luv fish + u luv fis=we luv wish

rahul wrote:It should not be like today planted ,tomorrow cichlid,day after tomorrow blackwater, next community, then marine ,then business and end up dying useless. Whatever you do do it well
kumar
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC
 
Posts: 789
Joined: Wed May 16, 2012 8:52 am
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 28 times

Re: 5 feet tank

Postby nilotpal » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:13 am

subhendu421 wrote:I had planted the aquarium approximately 10 days before.

I had waited for 5 days for new leaves to come out from my amazon sword, dwarf grasses started to grow a cm longer, and crypts gave out new leaves. I then did a 50% water change . Waited for another 5 days, did another 50% water change.
And today I had introduced 7 male guppies and a female guppy.
If the female guppy gives birth to new ones, I will remove all the guppies from this tank and then I will introduce tetras and rainbow.
Yes, I do not have any test kits. In fact 15 years back when I joined this hobby, there were no test kits in India (at least I did not know it).
I have three tanks and this will be my fourth. All the tanks are planted. The first tank a 3.0 X 1.5 X 1.5 feet have a gold fish and approx 30 guppies. Yes I lost few fishes in my first tank. Then I learned the harder way. My goldfish tank has annubias nana and amazon sword.
Even today with no test kits, I run my tanks, as I believe its all about nature.
Leaves growing means ammonia is being converted, and nitrate being used up.
Guppies giving birth means that the water condition is good.
This method is a long method of waiting for a month to introduce your choice fish. But then, its my way.
I hope to keep you updated


did you really used the ratio 7 male : 1 female or it is other way around. How is you 1 female doing. You should reverse the ratio.
Thanks,
Nilotpal
nilotpal
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC
 
Posts: 126
Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:05 pm
Location: Chinarpark Kolkata
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 2 times

Next

Return to Journals

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron