Citric Acid Reactor - Design Updated for more Consistency

Your plants need them
Forum rules
Before you start posting in this forum, will suggest you to go through the forum rules
HERE

Citric Acid Reactor - Design Updated for more Consistency

Postby SanamMarik » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:23 pm

Note: Please login to view the pictures attached.

Hi All, I have a new info to share today and I decided to go with a sml story fr the people who might nt be aware of our journey with this system...

A little Background
It has been more than a year and a half that I have been using this method for my planted setups. Initially it looked great when we were moving over from sugar yeast method and in the excitement we ignored the fact that the stock design can be very troublesome on occasions. Further down the time line, I was thinking to update the reactor design to get rid of the 'Reaction Delay' issue due to which the pressure used to rise up abruptly.
The design was ready and the only remaining part was to implement and test if the new design addresses the issue in the expected manner. But, as usual i kept on procrastinating and one fine day due to the abrupt pressure hike one of my 5 reactors blasted at 100+psi at a distance of 6-7inches from my face and wounded my cheek such a way that the scar will remain prominent on my face for the rest of my life. x_x x_x x_x B-( B-( And I am yet to get married... x_x x_x :ympray: :ympray: :ympray:

It took me arnd three weeks to get healed...and then I finally went on to update the design. Below I am sharing both the designs, the one that blasted and the modified one. Before that, let me share my experience with the new updated design.

I am using the new design for more than 6 mnths now and havnt yet noticed any abrupt pressure hikes...I have five of these systems running at my place and i helped some other friend to make these too...so total systems running with this update shld be arnd 15 or more and no complaints so far about abrupt pressure hikes.... :ymparty: :ymparty:

Now the designs-
Old Design---
Citric_Reactor.JPG

New Design
Citric_Reactor_v1.jpg

Design Update Description-
A T join and two check valves has been added in the soda bottle.

Functions-
T join- separates the input(citric acid) and output(CO2) flow routes. both these routes are made to work one way by the check valves. this is required to attain a stable and uniform reactor.
In the older version, the T join nd the chk valves were not present and the citric acid used to drip on the soda. with time when the liquid level used to rise up, it delayed the reaction time as the fluid medium was working as a separator between the soda and the citric acid dropping at the surface of the liquid. because of the delay in the reaction, more citric acid used to get poured in before the reaction started and once the reaction started, the pressure used to go v high due to extra amount of citric acid poured in.

To overcome the reaction delay, it is required that the citric acid reacts to the soda as soon as it comes out of the pipe. Hence, the pipe was to be elongated till the bottles's floor to stay in touch with the soda. but the issue here is when citric acid reacts to the soda, co2 will b generated and pressure in the soda bottle will become more than the pressure in the citric bottle and due to this, soda will be pushed through the pipe to the citric acid bottle and then the soda will react in the citric bottle creating co2 and hence rise in pressure which will again push the citric acid to the soda chamber and again react there forming co2, thn pressure rise, thn soda flows to citric bottle and so on....it will become a chain reaction.
So, a check valve was put in the pipe to avoid the back flow of soda to the citric acid bottle. but then we need the pressure to be in equilibrium across the two bottles or else the reactor's pressure will keep dropping. So some of the co2 needs to be flowed back to the citric acid chamber, hence a T join was added. Aftr this, using only T join will make the system bak to the older model as the critic acid will then again drop through the open end(least resistance path) of the T join. So a chk valve was added so that the route will only open when co2 push opens the check valve.

So, for both the existing and the people who want to make this reactor, please please please pay attention while putting the check valves. the check valves need to open in the direction of the arrows provided in the pic.

And last of all, please forgive me if the above things sound confusing, as I really suck when it comes to teaching. x_x x_x x_x
So feel free to point out the portions wherever sounds confusing. I will try my best to simplify it.

Thank you ALL for bearing with me...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sanam Marik
Knowledge has no end and so is my love for it. :)
SanamMarik
KAC Fanatic
KAC Fanatic

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter Share on Orkut Orkut

Re: Citric Acid Reactor - Design Updated for more Consistenc

Postby thatssam2001 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:17 am

SanamMarik wrote:Note: Please login to view the pictures attached.

Hi All, I have a new info to share today and I decided to go with a sml story fr the people who might nt be aware of our journey with this system...

A little Background
It has been more than a year and a half that I have been using this method for my planted setups. Initially it looked great when we were moving over from sugar yeast method and in the excitement we ignored the fact that the stock design can be very troublesome on occasions. Further down the time line, I was thinking to update the reactor design to get rid of the 'Reaction Delay' issue due to which the pressure used to rise up abruptly.
The design was ready and the only remaining part was to implement and test if the new design addresses the issue in the expected manner. But, as usual i kept on procrastinating and one fine day due to the abrupt pressure hike one of my 5 reactors blasted at 100+psi at a distance of 6-7inches from my face and wounded my cheek such a way that the scar will remain prominent on my face for the rest of my life. x_x x_x x_x B-( B-( And I am yet to get married... x_x x_x :ympray: :ympray: :ympray:

It took me arnd three weeks to get healed...and then I finally went on to update the design. Below I am sharing both the designs, the one that blasted and the modified one. Before that, let me share my experience with the new updated design.

I am using the new design for more than 6 mnths now and havnt yet noticed any abrupt pressure hikes...I have five of these systems running at my place and i helped some other friend to make these too...so total systems running with this update shld be arnd 15 or more and no complaints so far about abrupt pressure hikes.... :ymparty: :ymparty:

Now the designs-
Old Design---
Citric_Reactor.JPG

New Design
Citric_Reactor_v1.jpg

Design Update Description-
A T join and two check valves has been added in the soda bottle.

Functions-
T join- separates the input(citric acid) and output(CO2) flow routes. both these routes are made to work one way by the check valves. this is required to attain a stable and uniform reactor.
In the older version, the T join nd the chk valves were not present and the citric acid used to drip on the soda. with time when the liquid level used to rise up, it delayed the reaction time as the fluid medium was working as a separator between the soda and the citric acid dropping at the surface of the liquid. because of the delay in the reaction, more citric acid used to get poured in before the reaction started and once the reaction started, the pressure used to go v high due to extra amount of citric acid poured in.

To overcome the reaction delay, it is required that the citric acid reacts to the soda as soon as it comes out of the pipe. Hence, the pipe was to be elongated till the bottles's floor to stay in touch with the soda. but the issue here is when citric acid reacts to the soda, co2 will b generated and pressure in the soda bottle will become more than the pressure in the citric bottle and due to this, soda will be pushed through the pipe to the citric acid bottle and then the soda will react in the citric bottle creating co2 and hence rise in pressure which will again push the citric acid to the soda chamber and again react there forming co2, thn pressure rise, thn soda flows to citric bottle and so on....it will become a chain reaction.
So, a check valve was put in the pipe to avoid the back flow of soda to the citric acid bottle. but then we need the pressure to be in equilibrium across the two bottles or else the reactor's pressure will keep dropping. So some of the co2 needs to be flowed back to the citric acid chamber, hence a T join was added. Aftr this, using only T join will make the system bak to the older model as the critic acid will then again drop through the open end(least resistance path) of the T join. So a chk valve was added so that the route will only open when co2 push opens the check valve.

So, for both the existing and the people who want to make this reactor, please please please pay attention while putting the check valves. the check valves need to open in the direction of the arrows provided in the pic.

And last of all, please forgive me if the above things sound confusing, as I really suck when it comes to teaching. x_x x_x x_x
So feel free to point out the portions wherever sounds confusing. I will try my best to simplify it.

Thank you ALL for bearing with me...

Great idea sanam. I was looking for solutions for the high pressure for a long time. And you have helped me a lot.

Yesterday night i tried your method. Its quite hard to get the pressure built up as there are check valves. Which are obstructing the flow of air.

After sometime i was able to built up the required pressure and unfortunately my flow control valve decided to malfunction.

Thank god i had another with me from other build while changing the valve i lost all the citric. :cry: but still guage is showing aroind 2 bar so its going good till now.

Will make it again and will update.

Thanks a lot for sharing your story and your updates on this.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
thatssam2001
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby SanamMarik » Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:06 pm

Glad that I could help you...do share your results once u complete it... :)
Sanam Marik
SanamMarik
KAC Fanatic
KAC Fanatic

Postby thatssam2001 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:52 pm

SanamMarik wrote:Glad that I could help you...do share your results once u complete it... :)

Update. Day 2 pressure is still as it is which use to rise within 1 day of use. I think its working. Fingers crossed.

Thanks a lot. You saved my lot of money. :mrgreen: :)

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
thatssam2001
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby SanamMarik » Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:37 pm

let wait till d end of refill :)
Sanam Marik
SanamMarik
KAC Fanatic
KAC Fanatic

Postby rk521437 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:14 pm

Mine too working perfectly....its the 14th day......thnks again sanam da...

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk
rk521437
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby SanamMarik » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:40 am

happy to b of some help....nd plz dont thank me, thank the people who made d forum and running it Silently behind d scenes :) we owe them a lot!!
Sanam Marik
SanamMarik
KAC Fanatic
KAC Fanatic

Return to CO2 and Fertilizers