How to make DIY root tabs?

Your plants need them
Forum rules
Before you start posting in this forum, will suggest you to go through the forum rules
HERE

How to make DIY root tabs?

Postby synodontis euptera » Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:04 pm

Can I make DIY root tabs? Have any of you done this? What is required?
Regards,
Oishik Roy
synodontis euptera
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter Share on Orkut Orkut

Re: How to make DIY root tabs?

Postby xarg0n » Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:19 am

I have never done it, but can give you an idea. Use sandy soil in powder form . Mix all the macro you want using little water. Consistency should be tight enough like a dough. Then make small tabs out of it. When tabs are ready, bake it in convection in an oven at 160 degree for 15-20 mins. Serve once cool ;)
Thanks & Regards..

Sourav...

"If you want to do something in a better way, do it yourself !" --Nepoleon Bonaparte
xarg0n
Dedicated KAC Member
Dedicated KAC Member

Postby neilaqua93 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:39 am

U can try empty unflavored capsules. I'm not sure about avAilability but u should get em in chemists shops
neilaqua93
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby debrajsahu » Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:18 pm

What is more important while making root tabs is the fertilizer (that are used in gardening) that you use more than how you use it. You will come across many topics while searching Google about it. What is required to make root tabs is slow release fertilizer pellets. Most recommended one (while you search for it on Google) is osmocote (australian brand fertilizer) or similar products for this purpose. Sadly they are not available in India as per my knowledge. The granular fertilizer that are available in India don't last long enough. While DIY root tabs using Osmocote or similar fertilizer or other branded root tabs last for 3-6 months(as per my reading. No personal experience though), the root tabs if made with granular fertilizer available in India will surely not last much long. Another important point to note is that while there are some fertilizers like DAP (used in gardening) which do take longer time to disintegrate but the NPK ration is also vital in choosing fertilizer for roots tabs and DAP is not suitable. And as far as the application method is concerned there are basically two popular ways: one is gelatin capsules and second is freezing the fertilizer granules/pellets in ice cubes; the capsule/ice cube is pushed into substrate to be used as root tabs.

Now if you aim to make DIY root tabs then start looking for the type of gardening fertilizer granules/pellets that i have suggested above. And you can also research more on this topic on Google. I am sure you will find it useful. I actually tried to make the root tabs but failed because I could not find the correct type of slow release fertilizer with appropriate NPK ratio. I am sure you can take a step further and probably will be able to find the Right Ingredients to make the tabs. Wish you all the best.

I hope you find it useful :)
debrajsahu
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby synodontis euptera » Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:27 am

xarg0n wrote:I have never done it, but can give you an idea. Use sandy soil in powder form . Mix all the macro you want using little water. Consistency should be tight enough like a dough. Then make small tabs out of it. When tabs are ready, bake it in convection in an oven at 160 degree for 15-20 mins. Serve once cool ;)

I have used a similar technique before, but my root-feeders showed no noticeable increase in growth rate, overall health etc. Not oven baked, but sun dried.
Regards,
Oishik Roy
synodontis euptera
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby abhirup » Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:37 am

Be very careful in doing these experiments.. Because if something goes wrong and suddenly your NPK levels become high it can cause havoc in the tank.The commercial capsules that are available in the market are coated and they leach very slowly and thus can be easily inserted into the substrate with water in the tank without any problem. If you try to insert the diy ones which you have baked and all, you will see that it is getting dissolved in the water. So i would say it would not be a very good idea unless you can create a capsule like coating over the diy tablets. If you are looking for diy additives in your diy substrate and want to add it before plantation, I can give you an idea. Earlier the addition of clay sticks in the substrate was very popular. At that time we didn't have ready to use substrates like aqua soil. Creating clay sticks is very easily. You need to get hold of some "Etel Mati" which is actually the silt found on the river banks.. they are a bit sticky in nature and is used for idol creations..You can grate them and bake them in the soil or even heat them in the oven. If you heat them in the oven, they will smell a bit. you can add these then in the substrate and cover them up with gravels so that they don't come in direct contact with the water column. But remember these can be added only during setting up the tank when it is dry.
abhirup
Admin
Admin

Postby Nishi » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:34 pm

Osmocote plus is not available in Indian market but sometimes you will find on ebay.in, It cost Rs. 600 for 200gm. I found similar product on ebay, amazon which is Wondercote 90 (Rs. 180 for 300gm on their webiste http://divinetreeindia.com/fertilizers/ ... etail.html and Rs. 250-Rs.300 on ebay, amazon if it is available) Wondercote 90 can give fertilization to your plants for around 2-3 months.
Gelatin capsules available on ebay amazon India are costly, Rs. 1008 for 100 caps. Cheap and alternative way to get such capsule is to buy cheapest herbal medicine such as Herbal Hills Brahmihills - 60 Capsule cost Rs. 132 (free shipping) and empty out and refill Osmocote plus OR wondercote OR your preferred fertilizer
http://www.herbalhills.in/brahmi-capsule.html
amazon.in : http://www.amazon.in/Herbal-Hills-Brahm ... l_huc_item)

I have suggestions for you, either you buy Osmocote Plus from amazon.com for Rs. 1500 including shipping. You will get 2lb (0.9kg) which is much better then wondercote 90 in terms of quality, and gives fertilization for around 6 months.
Hope this helps.
Nishi
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Return to CO2 and Fertilizers