6500k or 8000k

Dedicated to Planted aquarium specific Lights, Substrate and other equipements
Forum rules
Before you start posting in this forum, will suggest you to go through the forum rules
HERE

6500k or 8000k

Postby tirujit » Fri May 26, 2017 9:54 am

6500k or 8000k, which one you will prefer most for LED light? Is it really true that plants grow much better with 8000k?
User avatar
tirujit
New KAC Member
New KAC Member
 
Posts: 94
Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:55 am
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 7 times

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter Share on Orkut Orkut

Re: 6500k or 8000k

Postby mithun » Fri May 26, 2017 10:17 am

Plants can absorb red and Blue spectrum of light. A little better blue than reds.. while 6500K strikes a balance between red and blue, 8000K favours blue and therefore more suitable for photosynthesis by Chrolophil A. Chlorophill B favours red more and is more common in algae like BGA, diatom etc than more evolved plants. So using 8000K not only gives your plants more edge to grow but also reduces algae growth!
Mithun
M:8583865385
Napoleon Bonaparte wrote:If you want something done in a better way, do it yourself.

My 220Gal reef journal | My 150Gal reef journal
User avatar
mithun
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
 
Posts: 2683
Images: 0
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:03 pm
Location: Bangalore.. :(
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 37 times

Re: 6500k or 8000k

Postby vikramdutta » Sat May 27, 2017 8:55 am

mithun wrote:Plants can absorb red and Blue spectrum of light. A little better blue than reds.. while 6500K strikes a balance between red and blue, 8000K favours blue and therefore more suitable for photosynthesis by Chrolophil A. Chlorophill B favours red more and is more common in algae like BGA, diatom etc than more evolved plants. So using 8000K not only gives your plants more edge to grow but also reduces algae growth!

WOW, i was also confused in this kelvin, now u have explained it so easily. Thank you @mithun
User avatar
vikramdutta
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC
 
Posts: 585
Joined: Tue May 19, 2015 12:18 pm
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 16 times

Re: 6500k or 8000k

Postby SanamMarik » Tue May 30, 2017 5:39 pm

tirujit wrote:6500k or 8000k, which one you will prefer most for LED light? Is it really true that plants grow much better with 8000k?

dada ime that depends on d tank depth...till 10" water column depth you can go with 6500K imo...any higher, putting a 8000K or some blue spectrum source does help :)

btw, from my recent experiments with lights and plants...its nt generic for all the plants to react to the light source the same way...with light spectrum u can control the leaf foliage shape and size of many species :P
I could manage to shrink the anubias nana's size to anubias nana petite....light is full of opportunities... :D
Sanam Marik
Knowledge has no end and so is my love for it. :)
User avatar
SanamMarik
KAC Fanatic
KAC Fanatic
 
Posts: 2446
Images: 0
Joined: Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:03 pm
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 92 times

Re: 6500k or 8000k

Postby SanamMarik » Tue May 30, 2017 5:41 pm

mithun wrote:Plants can absorb red and Blue spectrum of light. A little better blue than reds.. while 6500K strikes a balance between red and blue, 8000K favours blue and therefore more suitable for photosynthesis by Chrolophil A. Chlorophill B favours red more and is more common in algae like BGA, diatom etc than more evolved plants. So using 8000K not only gives your plants more edge to grow but also reduces algae growth!

a little correction i would like to make

"Plants can absorb more red and more Blue spectrum of light than other spectrums"...yellow, green, etc is also absorbed but in much lesser quantities... :)
Sanam Marik
Knowledge has no end and so is my love for it. :)
User avatar
SanamMarik
KAC Fanatic
KAC Fanatic
 
Posts: 2446
Images: 0
Joined: Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:03 pm
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 92 times

Re: 6500k or 8000k

Postby mithun » Tue May 30, 2017 8:36 pm

True. Plant can actually absorb whole spectrum, ATP can be energised with any colour.. but chlorophyll​ pigment has more efficiency in those two colours only. Thats why we see pinkish colour growlights in the market which is a mix of blue and red

Sent from my MI 4W using Tapatalk
Mithun
M:8583865385
Napoleon Bonaparte wrote:If you want something done in a better way, do it yourself.

My 220Gal reef journal | My 150Gal reef journal
User avatar
mithun
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
 
Posts: 2683
Images: 0
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:03 pm
Location: Bangalore.. :(
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 37 times

Re: 6500k or 8000k

Postby SanamMarik » Wed May 31, 2017 5:38 pm

yes
Sanam Marik
Knowledge has no end and so is my love for it. :)
User avatar
SanamMarik
KAC Fanatic
KAC Fanatic
 
Posts: 2446
Images: 0
Joined: Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:03 pm
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 92 times

Re: 6500k or 8000k

Postby tirujit » Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:50 am

Excellent explanation, simple and informative, thank you very much !!
User avatar
tirujit
New KAC Member
New KAC Member
 
Posts: 94
Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:55 am
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 7 times


Return to Lights & Other Equipments

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron