Confused b/w substrates for my new planted setup

Dedicated to Planted aquarium specific Lights, Substrate and other equipements
Forum rules
Before you start posting in this forum, will suggest you to go through the forum rules
HERE

Confused b/w substrates for my new planted setup

Postby ajinkyajin » Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:31 pm

Hi all,
I'll soon be setting up a 30x18x15in planted tank,So I need advice about which substrate to use.Going to be a submerged setup from the beginning itself.Main thing is it(substrate) should hold itself good for atleast 2 years+.I had success with ADA Amazonia(which comes in silver bag) in my nano tank.But it isn't available with my LFS for now and he is charging me Rs2200 for 9L which I think is a rip off.He told me that he can arrange ISTA soil for aquatic plants for Rs 1500-1600 for 9L.But I don't know if it is any good or not.
So I may go for online route from indianaquarium.com.
Below are my choices:
1,ADA Amazonia(this doesn't come in silver bag,its a green bag..so I don't know the size of the granules and if it is appropriate for carpet plants...plesase advise on this),This one: http://www.indianaquarium.com/Substrate ... 81729.html
2.Controsoil
3.Platinum Soil
4.Ista soil

Please do note that I am going to plant carpets in addition to other plants so please advise which one of the above would be good.
Thank You.
ajinkyajin
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter Share on Orkut Orkut

Re: Confused b/w substrates for my new planted setup

Postby ajinkyajin » Sat Jul 30, 2016 3:50 pm

Anyone?Please Help...I need to buy it soon.
ajinkyajin
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby vikramdutta » Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:23 am

You can grow plants in sand if u want. bt about Amazonia, the packaging has changed not the granual size or color. you can use anything. But if u want to grow HC Cuba then you need to go for immersed first then submerged provided whatever substrate you use.
vikramdutta
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby rohitkundu » Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:09 pm

go for Fluval Stratum
rohitkundu
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby peeyooshk » Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:53 am

Add Cal Aqua Black Earth premium soil to your list in case you are comparing.
For All Aquarium Products Click Below :
peeyooshk
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby mr_feynman » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:56 pm

ajinkyajin wrote:Hi all,
I'll soon be setting up a 30x18x15in planted tank,So I need advice about which substrate to use.Going to be a submerged setup from the beginning itself.Main thing is it(substrate) should hold itself good for atleast 2 years+.I had success with ADA Amazonia(which comes in silver bag) in my nano tank.But it isn't available with my LFS for now and he is charging me Rs2200 for 9L which I think is a rip off.He told me that he can arrange ISTA soil for aquatic plants for Rs 1500-1600 for 9L.But I don't know if it is any good or not.
So I may go for online route from indianaquarium.com.
Below are my choices:
1,ADA Amazonia(this doesn't come in silver bag,its a green bag..so I don't know the size of the granules and if it is appropriate for carpet plants...plesase advise on this),This one: http://www.indianaquarium.com/Substrate ... 81729.html
2.Controsoil
3.Platinum Soil
4.Ista soil

Please do note that I am going to plant carpets in addition to other plants so please advise which one of the above would be good.
Thank You.

your decision should be based on the method or philosophy of growing plants that may differ from one product to another!
e.g. ADA amazonia is basically dirt... loaded with rich plant nutrient so that for initial months plants can establish their strong foothold.
keeping that in mind aquarists handle the situation accordingly... go for some controlled regimen of dosing... water change frequency... ammonia leach... no fauna etc.
So, that's one school of thoughts.

Other substrates, e.g. fluval is a mineralized volcanic granules... which is a different school of thought where you can add fauna at first day (provided you have a cycled filter), which means no ammonia leach. These types are dependent on water column dosing and keep in mind that what goes in water is absorbed by the soil too... these granules are of high CEC.

I used both amazonia and fluval. So, can't comment on others.

I personally prefer something which I can see in videos like European InterZoo trade fair etc. or works of other great aquascapers or ADA gallery across the world - mostly Japan and European.
This gives me an idea of what the substrate can be!
Also, look in to forums who used this before you.
And do not vouch on a single person's opinion. Follow what other established aquascapers have been doing for years. Because, substrate is something which you can not replace once you set up unless tearing down everything!
However, Cal Aqua seems a good brand too -- made significant chime in EU/USA markets! They are Thailand based company I believe.
mr_feynman
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby ajinkyajin » Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:12 pm

I went ahead with contro soil after some brief research...will see the results.
I have yet to decide which scape I should go for.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
ajinkyajin
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby rajivmemon » Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:05 pm

I am also using controsoil , how is every thing with your tank , any updates about soil quality and how plants performed ...

Rajiv
rajivmemon
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Return to Lights & Other Equipments