Please suggest lighting for 24"LX15"HX12"W

Dedicated to Planted aquarium specific Lights, Substrate and other equipements
Forum rules
Before you start posting in this forum, will suggest you to go through the forum rules
HERE

Please suggest lighting for 24"LX15"HX12"W

Postby amit » Mon May 23, 2016 4:29 pm

I have 24"LX15"HX12"W aquarium with Aquasoil and Cylinder CO2. Got transferred to kolkata recently and rescaped my aquarium yesterday. I am presently having DIY LED lights 6X10W and looking to change as it did not yield good results during my last setup. Please suggest suitable lights and Qty required. I have read about "FLUORA" collection of OSRAM which has peaks are rt wavelengths. Are these lights available in kolkata? Otherwise please suggest me best available options based on your wisdom.
amit
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter Share on Orkut Orkut

Re: Please suggest lighting for 24"LX15"HX12"W

Postby subha » Mon May 23, 2016 8:07 pm

welcome to this forum..

I have 3 Chinese LED bulbs on my 2 feeter planted and i m getting decent results..
though my tank is low tech.
in ur case, the amount of light is toooooo much imo.
:-o
which can ultimately lead to algae outbreak.
plz try to learn about planted tanks as much as possible before starting a new one..here u can find super high tech to super low tech tank specs..so read and learn...best of luck
Subhabrata
subha
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby amit » Tue May 24, 2016 4:11 am

Thanks subha!. I have read lot on internet but more I read more, confused I get. So now I request expert advice from this forum. Request experts to please come forward with advice as I want to purchase the light in a day or two time.
amit
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby mr_feynman » Wed May 25, 2016 7:22 pm

amit wrote:I have 24"LX15"HX12"W aquarium with Aquasoil and Cylinder CO2. Got transferred to kolkata recently and rescaped my aquarium yesterday. I am presently having DIY LED lights 6X10W and looking to change as it did not yield good results during my last setup. Please suggest suitable lights and Qty required. I have read about "FLUORA" collection of OSRAM which has peaks are rt wavelengths. Are these lights available in kolkata? Otherwise please suggest me best available options based on your wisdom.

Osram Fluora can be good a choice for growing flowers and veggies as consumables -- may be in aquaponics. But, looking at the color hue it gives I doubt most of us dare to use this for display tank in this hobby!
It's a pink hue!

However, you can go for a mix of Osram 6500K and 8000K PLLs. I used them before. And many in this forum validated this stuff. 'Best Electrical' in Ezra street Market (near Poddar Court) -- they are the only dealer of Osram that I know here in Kolkata (Market's 1st gate - 3rd lane shop).

If you can afford, you can add NA-Lamps from ADA -- each 3K-ish. These PLLs are world class! But never used personally. Most of the Takashi Amano's Tanks use this pll light. However, they need special holders to accommodate it's connector pins.

Can look out for LEDs under 5K-7K INR range -- good investment. Currently I am using one from Sanrize called Planted lovers LED. Excellent results!
While buying LED please look for the features like -- 6500-6800K, instead of 8x6W led array choose 48x1W led array for better diffused light beams, lens angle 90-120 degree; also check if the led can have an optional controller as LED can be too intense for some set-ups and you may need to control the output!
mr_feynman
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby amit » Thu May 26, 2016 5:51 am

Thanks!. What wattage of PLL will be sufficient for my tank. Further where can I get hood for these light. Can you please share contact info of Best Electrical.
amit
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby mr_feynman » Thu May 26, 2016 6:15 pm

amit wrote:Thanks!. What wattage of PLL will be sufficient for my tank. Further where can I get hood for these light. Can you please share contact info of Best Electrical.

Use 2x36 Watt pll. If going for low light non co2 set up... Use only 1 pll at a time. But keep provisions for two... Everyone here starts non co2 then switch to DIY or pressurized co2 set ups. Then you need two plls running same time.

For hood plz contact Buro da.
I will pm you his and best electricals contacts.
mr_feynman
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby SanamMarik » Thu May 26, 2016 9:03 pm

this may sound harsh but its the truth- getting all proper equipment doesnt guarantee a successful tank. Being said so, the led 10w lights u used, are not at all recommended.

Saptarshi da suggested for PLL, however I stand for t5 tubes. for two reasons over PLL- 1) lesser heat, 2) even distribution throughout the length. same brand however :P
for this tank, 2x14watt t5 6500K is gud to start with. later if u want more light, you will know what to do by then ;)

coming to the growlights-best left for experienced people. I hav recently made a diy version of it with my own ratios of Blue, red green and white and frankly speaking, i opted to used them on a anubias tank so that things move a little slower for me to understand and act. its jst two weeks now and the previous dosing schedule i hav been using for more than a yr, is suddenly of no use. i am facing N deficiencies evn with 20ppm no3 dosing that too fr an anubias tank!!! @-) @-) @-)

so, my suggestion would be, once you get some gud grip on the planted tank subject, you can attempt for grow light or else the chances are that you will end up like me :(
Sanam Marik
Knowledge has no end and so is my love for it. :)
SanamMarik
KAC Fanatic
KAC Fanatic

Postby amit » Fri May 27, 2016 9:57 am

You mean T5HO phillips/OSRAM
amit
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby mr_feynman » Fri May 27, 2016 9:04 pm

SanamMarik wrote:this may sound harsh but its the truth- getting all proper equipment doesnt guarantee a successful tank. Being said so, the led 10w lights u used, are not at all recommended.

Saptarshi da suggested for PLL, however I stand for t5 tubes. for two reasons over PLL- 1) lesser heat, 2) even distribution throughout the length. same brand however :P
for this tank, 2x14watt t5 6500K is gud to start with. later if u want more light, you will know what to do by then ;)

coming to the growlights-best left for experienced people. I hav recently made a diy version of it with my own ratios of Blue, red green and white and frankly speaking, i opted to used them on a anubias tank so that things move a little slower for me to understand and act. its jst two weeks now and the previous dosing schedule i hav been using for more than a yr, is suddenly of no use. i am facing N deficiencies evn with 20ppm no3 dosing that too fr an anubias tank!!! @-) @-) @-)

so, my suggestion would be, once you get some gud grip on the planted tank subject, you can attempt for grow light or else the chances are that you will end up like me :(

Absolutely true.
amit
... What Sanam said is totally correct. T5HO is the best option.
For my case... I initially thought of T5HO (even bought one 6500K) and was waiting for another 8000K as Best Electrical told me to wait couple of weeks and then they will arrange that for me.
But, later they said that they were unable to place order bcz 8000K is only bought by aquarists like us, and they need at least 100 pieces to order!!! $-) $-) $-)
I had to complete my hood set up.. and I sticked to the idea of 6500+8000K mix. Hence, I returned back the T5HO and bought 2 6500K and 2 8000K for my 3 feeter!
mr_feynman
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby SanamMarik » Sat May 28, 2016 7:37 am

amit wrote:You mean T5HO phillips/OSRAM

Nope. T5 HE 14watts...HO is nt vfm.
Sanam Marik
Knowledge has no end and so is my love for it. :)
SanamMarik
KAC Fanatic
KAC Fanatic

Next

Return to Lights & Other Equipments