How to setup an Eheim Classic canister filter

Dedicated to Planted aquarium specific Lights, Substrate and other equipements
Forum rules
Before you start posting in this forum, will suggest you to go through the forum rules
HERE

Re: How to setup an Eheim Classic canister filter

Postby Arijit » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:30 am

Thanks @Aninda. The 1st link (nocarrier.ca) is perfectly what I was looking for. Hope to setup by sunday. So it seems I have to cut the tubes 3times... To attach the inlet and the outlet tubes, and for the spray bar.
"Don't hesitate to make mistakes...
...Make sure you don't repeat it twice" - Anonymous
Arijit
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter Share on Orkut Orkut

Postby Najib » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:33 am

That's quite elaborate ;) Aninda bro....

One thing what is not mentioned in the setup is the priming part. The function of getting it started is a bit tricky. So I will take the liberty on how to do it. Now this is how I do it and there may be other ways as well. For me this is easy and works perfect.

After you have connected all the pipes and fixed it in the tank, make sure the knobs are all turned on.
Reduce the water in the tank.
Make sure the inlet of the filter is below water level.
Now use the hose that you refill your tank with to fill the water in the canister. Run the water on and just keep it at the inlet so the water gets filled in the canister.
As it fills you should be able to see the water coming out of the outlet.
During this process switch on the filter and you can remove the hose from the inlet.
Make sure you don't over fill the tank :D

As a note of advise: don't drain the water below the inlet pipe during WC. Or else you would have to go through the priming process again ;)
Najib

***My Fish Eat Your Fish***
Najib

Postby Aninda » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:48 am

How I do it:

1. Input pipe to the canister should be below water level.
2. Do not connect the spray bar to the return pipe coming into the tank.
3. Ask someone to turn on the canister, at the same time suck into the return pipe till its primed (Hardly takes time)
4. connect the spray bar and you are done!

The only problem with this method is, you might end up with your mouth full of tank water :)) :))
Warm Regards
Aninda
So you think that money is the root of all evil. Have you ever asked what is the root of all money?
Aninda
Admin
Admin

Postby Najib » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:13 pm

Hahahahahah.... How does it taste? Lol
Najib

Najib

Postby Aninda » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:21 pm

Najib wrote:Hahahahahah.... How does it taste? Lol

:grin::grin: depends on livestock :lol:
Warm Regards
Aninda
So you think that money is the root of all evil. Have you ever asked what is the root of all money?
Aninda
Admin
Admin

Postby xarg0n » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:14 pm

My priming method also involves mouth method :p , my case , taste is salty :D

Arijit, you will have 4 ball valves supplied with the filter. Now you need to cut out 2 small pieces from the supplied tube so that two different sections
can be made each for Input & output pipes. This helps in isolating the filter out of the system for cleaning without spilling a drop of water in the floor.

Now each ball valves can be attached to other for joining sections to complete a full length pipe. Now look at the image below..

20130705_175741.jpg

Step 1 : Attach the valves (in-2) & (out-2) to the Inlet & Outlet of the filter using small tube cuttings (mentioned earlier)
Step 2 : Attach the Valves (in-1) & (out-1) to the Inlet & Outlet with rest of the tubes.
Step 3 : the tube having (in-1) goes into the tank below water level, The tube having (out-1) is for return and can be connected as in the image to the (out-2) for return.
This return tube may or may not be kept below water level.(make sure the ball valves of Out-1 & Out-2 are kept open)
Step 4 : Now keep the filter in a desired place. Open the head section of the filter (having the pump & electrical) & keep it aside.
Step 5 : fill up the filter container with filter media & close the ball valve In-2
Step 6 : Now Open the ball valve (by default it will be open though) In-1 and use your mouth to start the siphon action from tank. Hold it directly over the open filter
container, so that water falls in the container. Now no need to fill up the entire container, the moment you see the tube has started siphon , close the valve In-1
Now this Intake pipe is completely primed. Attach it to In-2 . Do not open Valve of In-2 yet.
Step 7 : Now attach the head section to the filter container properly and make sure the return pipe is placed firmly in the tank.
Step 8 : Now open ball valve of In-2 first followed by In-1. You will see the filter will get filled by siphon and water will come out through the Outlet via Out-1 & out -2
and the flow will stop once the water level of return tube matches with the level of water in tank.
Step 9 : Switch on filter.
Step 10 : Enjoy !!

When you want to clean the filter, switch it off first. Then close all 4 valves. Now detach In-1 from In-2 & Out-1 from Out-2. this way your inlet tube remains primed always
no need to use your mouth again. After cleaning is over use step 3 through step 9 except that mouth part to start it again :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Thanks & Regards..

Sourav...

"If you want to do something in a better way, do it yourself !" --Nepoleon Bonaparte
xarg0n
Dedicated KAC Member
Dedicated KAC Member

Postby Najib » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:34 pm

Hahaha guys tasting all sorts of stuff....
Just stick to my hose method :P
Najib

Najib

Postby Arijit » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:28 pm

Thanks friends. I will work on it this Sunday. I will also try to post pics of my final setup.
"Don't hesitate to make mistakes...
...Make sure you don't repeat it twice" - Anonymous
Arijit
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby pool1975 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:02 am

I guess I have nothing much to add - najib-bro and aninda has given all the stuff.

This is what I do for priming,
1. Fill the camister 80% with tank water before closing it.
2. Give the outlet a tight suck - :)
[Yum - it tastes like ... what muddy pond water if you ever swam on the ponds / "jheels"]

At the least u will have to cut the pipe 3 times -
1. 2 short 5" pieces for the inlet and outlet.
2. 1more cut somewhere in the center of the remaining pipe piece after adjusting the position of the cansiter with respect to inlet and outlet positions of the tank. This is tricky and should be well planned.
Subhankar
Increasingly fishy ...
pool1975
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Re: NEED HELP WITH EHEIM FILTER SETUP

Postby log1102 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:49 am

Aninda wrote:@Arijit .. Here you go

Can't get more detailed than this: http://nocarrier.ca/?p=33

Related Links:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kolRWPCX3Vs
http://www.rexgrigg.com/Eheim%20Classic ... ctions.htm

PS: Arijit, I have edited the title of your post and made this a 'Sticky' to help easy search.

First link is very informative Aninda. Wish I had found it 1 week back (set up my first Eheim last Sunday ). #:-s

Another youtube video with step-by-step demonstration. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZN6X_Yyl3Dk
Rajesh
log1102
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

PreviousNext

Return to Lights & Other Equipments