About to start 4 feeter planted

Discuss anything related to aquatic plants and aquascaping
Forum rules
Before you start posting in this forum, will suggest you to go through the forum rules
HERE

Re: About to start 4 feeter planted

Postby Tirtha » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:16 am

parthapratim22 wrote:
Tirtha wrote: 5ftr 1.5ftr 2ft(H) if I am not wrong with pressurized co2 and 4*54 or 80watt branded(for planted might be aquazonic) tubes. Only a half teaspoon of algae in the tank :D !!! I was just remembering the same after reading the introduction of the thread.

Light is low in that tank. 4x54 watt is not enough for a 5 feeter to grow fore ground.
Regards,
Tirtha

A Bad Attitude is like a Flat Tyre. You cannot go anywhere until you change it.
Tirtha
Admin
Admin

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter Share on Orkut Orkut

Postby el batty » Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:29 am

1 request abhinaba da...since you are starting a huge project..why not add something else in it?

I would really love to see discuss in a planted tank...a proper planted tank.

You got the filters..you got the apparatus...what's wrong in keeping discuss in a planted tank?
If you can think of keeping a school of 5-6 discuss in the 4' tank, it'd eventually be a beauty.

Do give it a thought...you got achintya (local discuss guardian) to cover for the discuss maintenance part...gecho (local planted guardian) for the rest.

Give it a serious thought...i have seen pics of discuss in planted tanks, but never saw in a planted one in person.
You coming tomorrow in galiff? Lemme see if i can nag and make a deal. Apisto in a 4' would look also good, but a little out of proportion. Start the planted and once its set and ready...start the discuss.

I have a vision..can you see it yet? :P
Regards,
Subhadeep

aninda wrote:I believe in karma. That means I can do bad things to people I don't like and assume they deserved it.
el batty

Postby Abhinaba » Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:16 pm

el batty bhai,
Do you remember the amway ad where the guy says "Mujhe maf karo" ? I have the exact same expression on my face right now.
No discuss at this point of time. (Edit : see? I can't even spell 'discus' right :P)

I am planing to come to galiff tomorrow.
Abhinaba
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby tigermath » Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:18 pm

We've already planned something else, me and Abhinabada. :)
Regards,

Avik

**Dried testicles of POACHERS cure cancer**
tigermath
KAC Senior Member
KAC Senior Member

Postby Abhinaba » Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:13 pm

I am feeling a little dizzy with having to juggle so many things in my mind !!
I think I got too old to learn so much in such a short period ;) and time to open the 12th standard chemistry books .. phew!!

Anyways, some Questions that I have in my mind:
Some are silly, I know. I am continuing research and hopefully can find some of the answers myself, but don't count on me :P

1. If I make multiple layers with different substrates, won't it be difficult to use them in a different tank later? I mean when I would like to pick them up, the layers would mix, right? I saw somewhere that people using plastic mesh. Is that a good idea?

2. Avik's thermocol idea.. I like. Is it possible?

3. I got 3 bags of ceramic rings for the canister, so I'll replace some of the sponges with this. Please comment on this area. Do I need more?

4. I don't like the local PFs because they heat the tank and they leak.
What is a good brand which will have the minimum of the above points? Are wavemakers any better?

5. Is ESAB a good regulator? If I do not get the eagle one, can I use this?

6. Does needle valve come with the regulator?

Thanks,
Abhi
Abhinaba
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby Achintya » Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:59 pm

why i don't choose discus in a well planted tank:

1.discus needs more oxygen than smaller fishes.due much amount of O2 is absent in a planted tank,specially where you use pressurized CO2.

2.you can't keep all strains of discus in a planted tank.you have to choose among BD,turquoise,leopard snakeskin,snakeskin.othrewise you can see peepering of their bodies.

3.suppose you make a beautiful HC or some foreground carpet.also for proper growth of discus you feed them BHM/GHM or hikari or tetra bits.each and every food is sinking food.so most of the food will waste.so you have to stick on some floating foods like tetra crisps etc.

4.an adult discus can make too many wastes cause ammo boom.

5.there will be a ph fluctuation when you'll not turn on CO2 cylinder.
The Best Revenge is Massive Success
Achintya
KAC Senior Member
KAC Senior Member

Postby Tirtha » Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:48 pm

Abhinaba wrote:1. If I make multiple layers with different substrates, won't it be difficult to use them in a different tank later? I mean when I would like to pick them up, the layers would mix, right? I saw somewhere that people using plastic mesh. Is that a good idea?

No you will not be able to use them again in another tank if I take normal scenario. And I think you don't have to bother too much for that, as we are going for cheaper option. Or else keep a sturdy mosquito net between 2 layers . But if you are planning to keep the setup for more than a year or 2 year, then don't bang your head. Thermocol used to raise the substrate height, not as a divider between layers.

Abhinaba wrote:3. I got 3 bags of ceramic rings for the canister, so I'll replace some of the sponges with this. Please comment on this area. Do I need more?

Remove everything from inside, keep a platform at the bottom and top it with 3" ceramic rings and cover it with a single sponge. Too much filter media will kill the flow of the canister.

Abhinaba wrote:4. I don't like the local PFs because they heat the tank and they leak.
What is a good brand which will have the minimum of the above points? Are wavemakers any better?

You can go for Eheim or Aquael. But cost will be 5 times more. I would stick to the chinese ones with better suckers.

Abhinaba wrote:5. Is ESAB a good regulator? If I do not get the eagle one, can I use this?

I am using ESAB for last 2 years without any problem until that pneumatic bugger screwed it.

Abhinaba wrote:6. Does needle valve come with the regulator?

If I consider standard Eagle or ESAB, Answer will be NO. The branded regulator, specifically coming for aquarium purpose has some needle valve attached to it.
Regards,
Tirtha

Tirtha
Admin
Admin

Postby Abhinaba » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:08 am

Tirtha,
Thank you boss!!

Thermocol, I meant to use only at the bottom only.. :)

Who's that pneumatic bugger btw?
Abhinaba
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby tigermath » Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:07 pm

Tirthada, read about the thermocol idea, just to reduce the effective height of the tank without cutting the glass.

How is UP-AQUA regulator? Check their website.
Regards,

Avik

**Dried testicles of POACHERS cure cancer**
tigermath
KAC Senior Member
KAC Senior Member

Postby Tirtha » Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:39 pm

tigermath wrote:Tirthada, read about the thermocol idea, just to reduce the effective height of the tank without cutting the glass.

How is UP-AQUA regulator? Check their website.

OK SAAR. My mistake. :mrgreen:

UP-AQUA has a superb inline diffuser but never used it. No idea about their regulator quality.
Regards,
Tirtha

Tirtha
Admin
Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Planted Tank Discussion