About to start 4 feeter planted

Discuss anything related to aquatic plants and aquascaping
Forum rules
Before you start posting in this forum, will suggest you to go through the forum rules
HERE

Re: About to start 4 feeter planted

Postby debmalya.seal » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:05 pm

Welcome to the world of Planted Tanks. 48x15x24 is actually a mammoth planted one, especially for the height and your choice of plants. Considering the cost that you will incur in this one, I would rather suggest go for a 30X18x18 or 36x18x18 with Amazonia. Using Amazonia as substrate is like insuring your investment. In 2ft height u will surely need MH to grow carpeting plants and a chiller if you opt for HC. Riccia fluitans is another easy to grow carpet, but it will take a lot of your weekly time.
You have mentioned T5HO 54watt, but what is the Kelvin Rating for these lamps?
debmalya.seal

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter Share on Orkut Orkut

Postby Abhinaba » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:31 pm

Thanks for the good wishes guys!! :)

Tirtha,
Excellent suggestion to start the write up on the forum! Lots of things make sense and vice versa when I am jotting it down for others to see. :idea:

Avik,
The 6 feet is still for large cichlids buddy!! 8-)
Also, this one will house some cichlids for sure ;)
Regulator +Co2 cylinder (4.5kg) : price?

Parthapratim, Debamalya
Thanks for your suggestion.. makes sense!
I actually have a spare 30" x 15" x 15" .. so something to think about!! :?

About the kelvin, option is there to either go for all 6500K or all 8000K.
What do you guys suggest?
I have not ordered it yet.

Tirtha,
Since you are using Aquazonic.. the tubes are from the same company, is it?
And just to make sure, I can change the tubes to other make, right ?

Thanks,
Abhi
Abhinaba
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby Rohan » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:32 pm

IMO go for a mixture of 8000K and 6500K . Also get a good parabolic reflector.

As for substrate you can add Prodac's Humus Plus as an additive with laterite and sand gravel.
Rohan

Postby Abhinaba » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:24 pm

Rohan,
Any idea where I can get Prodac products?
Any idea about price?
Abhinaba
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby Tirtha » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:37 pm

Abhinaba wrote:Tank dimension : 4' X 2' (H) X 15" (W)
I know this is not the ideal dimension for a planted, but this is what I got :). I am not going to go for the cutting of glasses to reduce the height at this moment.
I mean I can go for cutting and all if that is absolutely necessary, but T5HOs should be able to penetrate 2' I suppose .

T5HO for a 2feet tank is more than enough and you will be able to grow 90% of the fore ground plant. ideally width should be more in planted tank but 15" not too bad to start. It all depends on the scape you are planning to make the depth.

Abhinaba wrote:Light : 3 X 54Watt T5HO
I am trying to get a quad fixture for this. Thanks to Tirtha for showing me the Aquazonia one..
The fixture will have option of putting a 4th one, so I can do that as well if required.

Aquazonic will be bang for the buck. As I said, check with Debmalya or Rudra if they are having it or if they can source. Price should not be more than 4K for 4x54watt 12000K set. Make sure you are getting all 4 white tubes.

Abhinaba wrote:Filtration
Eheim 2217. Do I need a PF?
Please suggest the flow rate for this dimension..

2217 is more than enough for this tank. If you want a long term peace of mind, buy 2 ltr BioMech and use it with a single sponge pad. filtration will be ultimate with decent flow. For the added flow use a good quality 1200lph powerhead. If you don't use spray bar, simply point the outflow in an angle with the front glass. It will give a nice circular flow all over the tank.

Abhinaba wrote:CO2: Pressurized
Gecho gave me a beginner's course on the components, but I am not sure I remember and understand everything.
Tirtha suggested reactor rather than diffuser due to ease of manitenance
What does the cylinder come with? Regulator comes with the cylinder or do I need to buy it?
I will do more research and ask more meaningful questions on this area.

This is the best decision any planted starter can take. Pressurized CO2 kit will be the best solution for any kind of planted tank for any level.

ISTA MaxMix reactor is one of the best available in market with a rate of 100% CO2 dissolved rate. And available in decent price (500-700). Connect it to the outflow of the 2217. Here is the link for the reactor, http://www.istaproducts.com/details+Max ... ducts/226/

If not wrong, I saw it's for sale in Galiff in some photographs.

As I said, go for 4.5KG cylinder minimum. For the father species like us, it will be a life saver. Next is, you have to buy a regulator. You can go for Eagle brand single gauge or double gauge according to your budget. And you need a bubble counter (Dymax plastic one is 150-200/-). DONT spend money on any Solenoid Valve. But spend on a very good Needle Valve.

As I said, keep the CO2 Cylinder away, anywhere in your house, out of the reach of Kids and connect it with pneumatic tube (10-15/- per meter) .
Regards,
Tirtha

A Bad Attitude is like a Flat Tyre. You cannot go anywhere until you change it.
Tirtha
Admin
Admin

Postby Rohan » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:39 pm

Dada you will get it in Splashing meadows. Humus Plus is 250/- for 500gm pack
Rohan

Postby gangopadhyay » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:44 pm

lotsa stem plants....
JAYOTTAM GANGULY
Taking stance: Second Innings
gangopadhyay
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Tirtha » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:47 pm

Abhinaba wrote:Hardscape
I'll try to put some drifts. Gecho being my local guardian here, I'll let him decide what to do with the scape :)

Dedicate your hardscape to Achintya. Make an Indian Almond Leaf (IAL) tree with DRIFTS. :mrgreen: PLEASE PLEASE.

Abhinaba wrote:Substrate: Laterite + Soilrite and 3mm sand gravel on top of it
I have decided not to go for ADA amazonia due to cost :roll: . If you guys think that I must go for this, then please convince me.
According to Buro da, Laterite and Morum are not the same thing. Please comment on this as well.

AS not at all required for your first setup. Start with available things, you will enjoy the journey. Instead of black soil, spend on Light and CO2 kit for now.

If you can't get Soilrite or Laterite, use ONLY Prodac Fondo VIVO as the bottom layer. It is poor mans Power Sand.

Abhinaba wrote:Plants?
I like carpet (Who does not??) : Can HC be done? Java Moss on DW?
Midground : Anubias and ferns? What else can I do?
Background : No idea :?

I will not suggest you to go for HC. Remember the heat you will face next summer. Go for hairgrass. Your tank is tall, so it will be beautiful.

On Drift, put needle leaf Java Ferns along with Christmass moss. Mid grounds with Crypts/ H. Compacta and back ground use any stems like Rotala or Ludwigia species according to your choice.

Abhinaba wrote:Fertilizers
Macro : KNO3 and K2hPO4
Micro: CSM+B
Anything else?

You forgot the most important thing and that is K2SO4. Along with CSM +B if you can use Flourish Iron, that will be super.
Regards,
Tirtha

Tirtha
Admin
Admin

Postby Tirtha » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:54 pm

parthapratim22 wrote:I would say dont go for such huge tank first time, or else you my use LED or MH, not sure with the height dada!!! that too carpet plants!!!

more the water volumn, less the risk. As a starter, always go for more than 50G tank to avoid sudden heart burn.

debmalya.seal wrote:In 2ft height u will surely need MH to grow carpeting plants and a chiller if you opt for HC.
You have mentioned T5HO 54watt, but what is the Kelvin Rating for these lamps?

Debmalya, T5HO is more than enough to grow any carpet in a 2 feet height tank, including Glosso. The T5HO he is talking about is 12000K with a perfect spectral distribution.

Chiller will be sweet, if house minister agreed. :mrgreen:

Abhinaba wrote:Rohan,
Any idea where I can get Prodac products?
Any idea about price?

Once upon a time our beloved Laukii used to keep Prodac goods, but you will get them in Galiff most probably. If am not wrong, I saw them in the same picture too.
Regards,
Tirtha

Tirtha
Admin
Admin

Postby abhirup » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:23 pm

great going dada...have you made up your mind which tank you will be going for the planted one??
abhirup
Admin
Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Planted Tank Discussion