help identify this plant please

Discuss anything related to aquatic plants and aquascaping
Forum rules
Before you start posting in this forum, will suggest you to go through the forum rules
HERE

help identify this plant please

Postby anjan507 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:12 am

help identify1.jpg

help identify 2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
anjan507
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter Share on Orkut Orkut

Re: help identify this plant please

Postby kumar » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:24 am

i luv fish + u luv fis=we luv wish

rahul wrote:It should not be like today planted ,tomorrow cichlid,day after tomorrow blackwater, next community, then marine ,then business and end up dying useless. Whatever you do do it well
kumar
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby anjan507 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:08 am

Thank you so much @kumar
anjan507
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

just started on a planted tank..

Postby anjan507 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:30 am

Subject: starting up

anjan507 wrote:having read this important and informative forum this is what i have started up with.

one 24 feet by 1.5 by 1.5 feet tank placed in the drawing room. this one was set up by the local aquarium shop guy. some commercial aquarium soil and then gravel cover. thats coz i requested not for too expensive a substrate. that was on 02 aug 2017. he installed java fern, Anubis and bacopa. the java fern did not survive and nor did the bacopa grow. he had mixed some fertilizer and told me no fish or any other fertilizer to be added for two months. only cleaning the sponge of the top filter and topping up water of the aquarium as and when required.

in one month i noticed the java fern turning loose and floating up. the anubis stagnant and so the case with the bacopa. in the meanwhile i was reading this forum and also other sites.

i also had the other small tank of 18 inch by 10 inch by 10 inch. 32 liter / 8 gallon. another story why i got that tank. however, i decided to try on my own with the meager learning i had gained from the veterans here.

i turned the small tank into a dirt tank. cocoa peat from amazon added with hydroponic npk fertilizer 20-20-20 and gravel cover. no filter yet added and placed the tank in veranda which gets bright sunlight , not direct , through the day. not et added an overhead light also to this tank.

added 6 mollies to the first tank. when they were happily swiming about added 6 tetras. all this since 03 sep 2017. learnt some supposedly beginners plants. ordered them from bunny cart. the list :-

vallisneria gigantea
elodea
hygrophila difformis
water trumpet
dwarf hairgrass
cadomba caroliniana
hemianthus micrathemoides

have photos of the packaging as revived which i could post if it helps anyone else to decide.

am dosing with phytocarb co2 supplement from sagar aquarium. daily 10 ml and 5 ml for the two tanks.

would be greatful if my blunders could be highlighted alongwith correctie action required. limited expenditure solutions please, if possible.

anjan
anjan507
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

pics of my startup tanks

Postby anjan507 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:14 am

IMG_20170912_055628.jpg

DSC03579.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
anjan507
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby subhendu421 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:53 am

First of all stop adding any CO2 liquid supplement. All of them including Seachem Excel contains Glutaraldehyde. Glutaraldehyde being an antiseptic in nature destroys cells and hence prevents growth of algae so it is very bad for many plants namely caboma, grass , hygrophilia. Glutaraldehyde can only somewhat tolerated by plants with hard leaves. Even then 1 ml per 20 liters should be the maximum addition every alternate days. You donot need any CO2 supplement in any low tech aquarium. Water always have dissolved CO2 and O2 which is sufficient for little plants.
Remove the aquarium from sunlight , put a 18W CFL (Rs 115) and see the results.
subhendu421
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby anjan507 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:21 am

Thank you Subhendu for your suggestions. I was adding Phyto carb once week only. 10 drops for the 24 inch aquarium. Should i stop that dosing too? my substrate is gravel as you would have noticed. plants not growing roots and therefore hold enough to stand the attack by the nibbling fishes. gets uprooted and that includes specially any sort of carpeting plants that i have been trying to establish. Would be nice if you suggest me some process.
anjan507
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

black coloring of amazon sword

Postby anjan507 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:01 am

picture of the amazon sword in my aquarium. getting a black spot. what could be the reason please?

amazon black spot.jpg
anjan507
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby subhendu421 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:35 pm

You cannot have any carpeting plants in gravel . Its impossible.
For gravel try these following plants
1. Amazon sword
2. Annubias
3. Crypto
4. Lily balls
5. Caboma.
6. Moss
7. Java Fern

Tie all the above plants with string with rocks or driftwood.

If possible get root tabs of seachem . Osmotoce plus is unavailable in Kolkata . For every 6-7 Amazon sword use one root tab every 4- 5 months.
I hope to see the difference.
Also of possible dose the tank with Macronutrients and micronutrients as per EI dosing. But do this very slowly to prevent algae growth.
subhendu421
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby anjan507 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:22 am

Thank you @ Subhendu. will bear in mind the suggestions you have given.
so far as root tabs go, i am trying a sort of home made method, that i have read from one of the sites or maybe post here. have picked up NPK 20-20-20 fertilizer for hydroponic use, from amazon. says safe for aquarium use. got gelatin 00 size empty capsules from ebay. filled up the capsules with NPK and pushed them under the gravel around the roots of plants that i have in my tank. so far as micro nutrients go, am using something i picked up from the local LFS. am posting the picture of the can ,after this.
anjan507
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Next

Return to Planted Tank Discussion