Help me setup a low-tech planted aquarium for my Office

Discuss anything related to aquatic plants and aquascaping
Forum rules
Before you start posting in this forum, will suggest you to go through the forum rules
HERE

Help me setup a low-tech planted aquarium for my Office

Postby adarshnarsaria » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:29 am

Hello,

Warm Regards to fellow hobbyists.

I want some real knowledge on the subject from the very experienced members of the forum. I want to keep an Aquarium in my Office. I am planning to get a (3 X 1.5 X 1.5)feet Glass Aquarium. I want a a planted aquascape tank with the least maintenance and Running Cost possible.

Please help me with the following things:

1. Which Cheap Substrate to use?
2. Will CO2 be necessary?
3. If yes, Then how do I make the DIY yeast-Based CO2 setup that lasts atleast 15 days?
4. What plants to choose?
5. Any ideas on hardscape and the positions
6. I want to add some really cool shrimps and/or other invertebrates in the tank so what fish would be compatible with the shrimps?
7. How to aquascape?
8. Which Filter to choose?
9. If someone is suggesting Driftwood or Bogwood? How to prepare it?
10. What are the list of things I have to buy?

Do remember my only source of aquarium supplies is the Galliff Street Pet Market so do Tell me where to get something which I wont find there.

Thanks in Advance Guys.
Aquariums for life
adarshnarsaria
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter Share on Orkut Orkut

Re: Help me setup a low-tech planted aquarium for my Office

Postby mithun » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:06 pm

Please change your signature.. ads not allowed in signature!
Mithun
M:8583865385
Napoleon Bonaparte wrote:If you want something done in a better way, do it yourself.

My 220Gal reef journal | My 150Gal reef journal
mithun
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby adarshnarsaria » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:34 pm

mithun wrote:Please change your signature.. ads not allowed in signature!

Done sir...
Aquariums for life
adarshnarsaria
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby adarshnarsaria » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:09 pm

Now please help me sir
Aquariums for life
adarshnarsaria
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby mithun » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:56 am

you have pretty much asked questions that each one requires full article... i will try to answer in one liners. if you need more details continue to ask!

If you are going low tech, you should be fine using normal construction sand and can opt for some additives like laterite, garden soil, humus beneath the sand

2. Will CO2 be necessary?
What Oxygen is for animals,CO2 is for plants. without CO2 plants cant prepare its food. normally water always has some CO2 dissolved in the tank. depending on how much light you have you may need to increase CO2 by artificially injecting it. there are both DIY and Commercial way for adding CO2.. for Low tech DIY options work fine

3. If yes, Then how do I make the DIY yeast-Based CO2 setup that lasts atleast 15 days?
Search this forum,. there are many thread for DIY CO2 making.. Most of them last more than 15 days

4. What plants to choose?
for low tech choose easy, low light requirement plants like crypts, vals, and several stem plants. Avoid carpetting plants

5. Any ideas on hardscape and the positions
Scape as you find aesthetically good.. practice will make u perfect.. dont expect your first tank to look world class on the first attemp..make several scapes, change here n there with hardscapes for a few days before adding plants or water.

6. I want to add some really cool shrimps and/or other invertebrates in the tank so what fish would be compatible with the shrimps?
Some tetras go well with shrimps.. in either case if you have fish in the tank dont expect shrimp babies to survive.. Shrimp tanks better kept without any fish. if it fits in mouth fish will eat the shrimp

7. How to aquascape?
I will let other experts to answer this..

8. Which Filter to choose?
If you have budget go for cannister filter.. that saves CO2 from dispersing out of water. If low budget go for Internal power filters. In any case dont use Top filter for planted tanks.

9. If someone is suggesting Driftwood or Bogwood? How to prepare it?
There are many threads in KAC that outline how to prepare bog woods. search the forum

Tank, filter, light, CO2 (DIY or commercial), substrate (sand or commercial), rocks/woods, plants, dosing items (it you wish rapid growth).
Mithun
Napoleon Bonaparte wrote:If you want something done in a better way, do it yourself.

mithun
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Nikhil Sonar » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:06 am

I will suggest you to first build 1ft cube with shrips to get the whole idea regarding light ,co2, substrate, and fertilizers it will won't hurt your pocket and give you a first hand experience than move forward to 3ft glass with better knowledge and you will get idea that you want a low tech setup or advance setup

Sent from my Lenovo P1a42 using Tapatalk
Nikhil Sonar
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby adarshnarsaria » Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:34 pm

That was very comprehensive and detailed. I have some further questions. Sorry but please help this novice sir.

If you are going low tech, you should be fine using normal construction sand and can opt for some additives like laterite, garden soil, humus beneath the sand

Instead of sand will those mini fake sand like substrate available in Gallif Street will do?

What Oxygen is for animals,CO2 is for plants. without CO2 plants cant prepare its food. normally water always has some CO2 dissolved in the tank. depending on how much light you have you may need to increase CO2 by artificially injecting it. there are both DIY and Commercial way for adding CO2.. for Low tech DIY options work fine

What are the liquid carbon options? where are they available? Price?

for low tech choose easy, low light requirement plants like crypts, vals, and several stem plants. Avoid carpetting plants

Aquascaping without carpeting is possible?

Some tetras go well with shrimps.. in either case if you have fish in the tank dont expect shrimp babies to survive.. Shrimp tanks better kept without any fish. if it fits in mouth fish will eat the shrimp

are there any small lobster species like 2 inches or 3

Tank, filter, light, CO2 (DIY or commercial), substrate (sand or commercial), rocks/woods, plants, dosing items (it you wish rapid growth).

Yes I want rapid growth. What to use? Where are they Available? What is the price?

Thanks Mithun da in advance
Aquariums for life
adarshnarsaria
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby adarshnarsaria » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:19 pm

Sir plz help me further....
Aquariums for life
adarshnarsaria
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby mithun » Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:59 am

1. sand needs to be inert.. thse fake sands are usually quartz or marble chips.. better not use them.
2. Liquid carbon option is Seachem flourish excel.. seach online u will get the price
3. yes all aquascape doesnt always need carpets.. moss can be used instead.
4. They arent lobsters.. they are crayfishes. Not suitable for planted tanks. They dig gravel ans also damage plants.
5. Rapid growth is not possible in low tech tanks.. U need high light, high CO2 and regular dosing if your want rapid growth
Mithun

mithun
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby adarshnarsaria » Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:12 am

mithun wrote:1. sand needs to be inert.. thse fake sands are usually quartz or marble chips.. better not use them.
2. Liquid carbon option is Seachem flourish excel.. seach online u will get the price
3. yes all aquascape doesnt always need carpets.. moss can be used instead.
4. They arent lobsters.. they are crayfishes. Not suitable for planted tanks. They dig gravel ans also damage plants.
5. Rapid growth is not possible in low tech tanks.. U need high light, high CO2 and regular dosing if your want rapid growth

Where I can find Moss at cheap?

Which Moss to choose for carpeting?

Which fish you recommend for the setup?

What price will I have to pay for the whole setup excluding the tank itself? (an approximate)
Aquariums for life
adarshnarsaria
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Next

Return to Planted Tank Discussion