Help me setup a low-tech planted aquarium for my Office

Discuss anything related to aquatic plants and aquascaping
Forum rules
Before you start posting in this forum, will suggest you to go through the forum rules
HERE

Re: Help me setup a low-tech planted aquarium for my Office

Postby SanamMarik » Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:41 pm

why do u want moss fr carpeting?
Sanam Marik
Knowledge has no end and so is my love for it. :)
SanamMarik
KAC Fanatic
KAC Fanatic

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter Share on Orkut Orkut

Postby adarshnarsaria » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:15 pm

SanamMarik wrote:why do u want moss fr carpeting?

Because

mithun wrote:yes all aquascape doesnt always need carpets.. moss can be used instead.
Aquariums for life
adarshnarsaria
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby SanamMarik » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:25 pm

oki...but for a tank dat size will require lots of moss or lots or time...if u can arrange some co2, thn u can go for easier carpeting plants. since u will b having d tank at ofc, thats a v big concern...i would suggest u to try things out at home first...have some exp and thn go for ofc setup
Sanam Marik
Knowledge has no end and so is my love for it. :)
SanamMarik
KAC Fanatic
KAC Fanatic

Postby adarshnarsaria » Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:29 am

SanamMarik wrote:oki...but for a tank dat size will require lots of moss or lots or time...if u can arrange some co2, thn u can go for easier carpeting plants. since u will b having d tank at ofc, thats a v big concern...i would suggest u to try things out at home first...have some exp and thn go for ofc setup

I wish that was possible but it aint.

So can you guide me through a setup like this

This one seems easy to do but its ada so its damn expensive. can you suggest me a cheap alternative which is available and somewhat manufactured locally. I've seen cheap aquasoils locally manufactured at gallif street. Any leads regarding that?
Aquariums for life
adarshnarsaria
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby nilotpal » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:44 am

adarshnarsaria wrote:
This one seems easy to do but its ada so its damn expensive. can you suggest me a cheap alternative which is available and somewhat manufactured locally. I've seen cheap aquasoils locally manufactured at gallif street. Any leads regarding that?

What's ADA in it? Never mind got it.
Thanks,
Nilotpal
nilotpal
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby adarshnarsaria » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:48 pm

Thank you all of you for your valuable suggestions ^:)^ and I am so glad to say that the Tank have been setup already :ympeace: Ill be posting pictures soon. :D

Here are the specifications of the tank:-

Size: 30"X15"X18"
Material of the Tank: Glass
Substrate: Coarse Sugar Like Sand for the lower layer, Fine Sand for the Mid Layer, and small chiplets like yellowish gravel as top layer. :-ss
CO2: DIY Three Cylinder CO2 System with two Generation Cylinders and one Gas Separating Chamber and liquid CO2 :-??
Plants: Large Amazon Swords and Tape Grass for the Background, Cryptocornye Becketti and Water Wisteria for the mid ground :ymdaydream:
Hard Scape: A Medium sized Driftwood with Java Moss tied on it on one of the thirds and a medium size rock behind which amazon swords are frilling. :-ss
Livestock: Red Cherry Shrimps, Zebra Danios, Red Tail Sharks, Tiger Barbs, Albino Lemon Tetras, a Leopard Pleco and Red molly. x_x
Filter: Internal Power Filter as a mechanical filter soon going to add some Biological filtration as well as some chemical filtration working on those. :ympray:
Heater: 150 Watts. :-h

Stay Tuned for pictures... \m/

Any advice for improvements and mistakes plz mention. :ympray:
Aquariums for life
adarshnarsaria
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby somnathmitra1984 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:10 am

mithun wrote:you have pretty much asked questions that each one requires full article... i will try to answer in one liners. if you need more details continue to ask!

1. Which Cheap Substrate to use?
If you are going low tech, you should be fine using normal construction sand and can opt for some additives like laterite, garden soil, humus beneath the sand

2. Will CO2 be necessary?
What Oxygen is for animals,CO2 is for plants. without CO2 plants cant prepare its food. normally water always has some CO2 dissolved in the tank. depending on how much light you have you may need to increase CO2 by artificially injecting it. there are both DIY and Commercial way for adding CO2.. for Low tech DIY options work fine

3. If yes, Then how do I make the DIY yeast-Based CO2 setup that lasts atleast 15 days?
Search this forum,. there are many thread for DIY CO2 making.. Most of them last more than 15 days

4. What plants to choose?
for low tech choose easy, low light requirement plants like crypts, vals, and several stem plants. Avoid carpetting plants

5. Any ideas on hardscape and the positions
Scape as you find aesthetically good.. practice will make u perfect.. dont expect your first tank to look world class on the first attemp..make several scapes, change here n there with hardscapes for a few days before adding plants or water.

6. I want to add some really cool shrimps and/or other invertebrates in the tank so what fish would be compatible with the shrimps?
Some tetras go well with shrimps.. in either case if you have fish in the tank dont expect shrimp babies to survive.. Shrimp tanks better kept without any fish. if it fits in mouth fish will eat the shrimp

7. How to aquascape?
I will let other experts to answer this..

8. Which Filter to choose?
If you have budget go for cannister filter.. that saves CO2 from dispersing out of water. If low budget go for Internal power filters. In any case dont use Top filter for planted tanks.

9. If someone is suggesting Driftwood or Bogwood? How to prepare it?
There are many threads in KAC that outline how to prepare bog woods. search the forum

10. What are the list of things I have to buy?
Tank, filter, light, CO2 (DIY or commercial), substrate (sand or commercial), rocks/woods, plants, dosing items (it you wish rapid growth).

Very helpful post sir...It will be a guide line for all those who are willing to start planted tank.
Thanks & Regards
Somnath Mitra
somnathmitra1984
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby adarshnarsaria » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:50 pm

somnathmitra1984 wrote:
mithun wrote:you have pretty much asked questions that each one requires full article... i will try to answer in one liners. if you need more details continue to ask!

1. Which Cheap Substrate to use?
If you are going low tech, you should be fine using normal construction sand and can opt for some additives like laterite, garden soil, humus beneath the sand

2. Will CO2 be necessary?
What Oxygen is for animals,CO2 is for plants. without CO2 plants cant prepare its food. normally water always has some CO2 dissolved in the tank. depending on how much light you have you may need to increase CO2 by artificially injecting it. there are both DIY and Commercial way for adding CO2.. for Low tech DIY options work fine

3. If yes, Then how do I make the DIY yeast-Based CO2 setup that lasts atleast 15 days?
Search this forum,. there are many thread for DIY CO2 making.. Most of them last more than 15 days

4. What plants to choose?
for low tech choose easy, low light requirement plants like crypts, vals, and several stem plants. Avoid carpetting plants

5. Any ideas on hardscape and the positions
Scape as you find aesthetically good.. practice will make u perfect.. dont expect your first tank to look world class on the first attemp..make several scapes, change here n there with hardscapes for a few days before adding plants or water.

6. I want to add some really cool shrimps and/or other invertebrates in the tank so what fish would be compatible with the shrimps?
Some tetras go well with shrimps.. in either case if you have fish in the tank dont expect shrimp babies to survive.. Shrimp tanks better kept without any fish. if it fits in mouth fish will eat the shrimp

7. How to aquascape?
I will let other experts to answer this..

8. Which Filter to choose?
If you have budget go for cannister filter.. that saves CO2 from dispersing out of water. If low budget go for Internal power filters. In any case dont use Top filter for planted tanks.

9. If someone is suggesting Driftwood or Bogwood? How to prepare it?
There are many threads in KAC that outline how to prepare bog woods. search the forum

10. What are the list of things I have to buy?
Tank, filter, light, CO2 (DIY or commercial), substrate (sand or commercial), rocks/woods, plants, dosing items (it you wish rapid growth).

Very helpful post sir...It will be a guide line for all those who are willing to start planted tank.

Indeed it was very helpful see how helpful it was I got it setup

http://www.kolkata-aquarium.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=7637
Aquariums for life
adarshnarsaria
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Previous

Return to Planted Tank Discussion