nutritious and diy substrate for planting carpet plants

Discuss anything related to aquatic plants and aquascaping
Forum rules
Before you start posting in this forum, will suggest you to go through the forum rules
HERE

Re: substrate for planting carpet plants

Postby rahul » Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:52 pm

i prefer to use construction sand treated with acid for a day atleast because natural sand is alkaline in nature.also i heard that sand gets compact after a period of time but in my experience it didn't occur as the tenellus runners kept on boring through it.
rahul

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter Share on Orkut Orkut

Re: substrate for planting carpet plants

Postby el batty » Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:56 pm

the lowest layer is still a concern for me...i was hoping for vermicompost like you used but since it would require a maturing time of around 4-5 months..i pass that option..any other fertile option to mix with lat?
Regards,
Subhadeep

aninda wrote:I believe in karma. That means I can do bad things to people I don't like and assume they deserved it.
el batty

Re: nutritious and diy substrate for planting carpet plants

Postby Tirtha » Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:08 pm

Keep the flow low. Too much flow will uproot any plant let alone hairgrass. In planted tank, we need mild flow not water current.

Don't use too fine sand. They will get compact and root growth will hamper. ADA AS is 4-6mm of size and hairgrass/ HC/ Glosso grows nice on it. Fine sand will not help you to keep the plants on substrate but it needs a good root system.
Regards,
Tirtha

A Bad Attitude is like a Flat Tyre. You cannot go anywhere until you change it.
Tirtha
Admin
Admin

Postby abhirup » Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:11 pm

guys this is a basic question that comes in everyone's mind..why do we need to use a nutrient rich substrate when aquatic plants can absorb nutrients through water column..

there are different types of aquatic plants like stem plants, bulbs, rosette plants etc..stem plants can easily absorb nutrients from water column..but the others cant..they depend on the root system for the supply of nutrients..hence the high nutrient, high cec required..if you notice you will see that plants that grow really well, multiply fast,grows thick have a very good root system to support..most of the carpet plants have very good root system....hence nutrient rich substrates are needed..even i have seen in these years that the nutrient rich substrate plays a very important role in maintaining the stability of the water parameters..it helps in maintaining a steady nutrient quotient in the water which is absorbed by the stem plants and thus have a buffering effect to some extent.
abhirup
Admin
Admin

Postby el batty » Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:16 am

so gecho what would the recipe be for a DIY substrate for planting carpets?

i believe lat+soil is the general thing, but what else would you recommend.
Regards,
Subhadeep

aninda wrote:I believe in karma. That means I can do bad things to people I don't like and assume they deserved it.
el batty

Postby Rohan » Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:32 am

Laterite , soilrite etc have cec property but which substrate additive actually adds the nutrients Abhirup da? Could Humus or vermicompost be the choice?
Rohan

Previous

Return to Planted Tank Discussion