Complete newbie In Scaping

Discuss anything related to aquatic plants and aquascaping
Forum rules
Before you start posting in this forum, will suggest you to go through the forum rules
HERE

Complete newbie In Scaping

Postby Sayanta » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:54 am

here is the crappy planted tank of mine. which is in serious need for help especially after the heat waves.
DSCN0645.JPG

Tank Details

Dimension: 24 X 12 X 15
Substrate: ADA Amazonia New
Co2: DIY
Light: 36 Watt PLL with diy setup. On for 8 hours. 3 hrs in the morning (8 Am to 11 Am) And 5 hrs at evening (6pm to 11pm)
Dosing: Almost nothing. could not get anything DIY. so bought the ADA B green but it helped more to the algeas that to plants so no dosing as of now.
Plants: i don't know all their names. u guys id..:P
fauna: had a healthy list(8 neon, 4 molly, 3 remirezi, 4 cory cat) but many are dead in the first week of june. all cories died(i thought they are hardy). 5 neons gone. left with 3 rams 3 neons and added one rosy barb for eating hair algeas but it is intereseted only in Tb and worms.

so please suggest. first i thought of tearing the tank and start afresh with DWG and make a grassland like scape. but not sure if that is achievable with DIY Co2.

One more Pic
DSCN0642.JPG

Now i tried to get some Diy fertilizers but none of them are ready to sell less than 500gms. Someone help me get some. and if possible a little glut solution.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Thanks -- Sayanta
Sayanta
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter Share on Orkut Orkut

Re: Complete newbie In Scaping

Postby el batty » Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:56 am

have you seen the 3 long plants of same type on the right? The inconsistency is due to less light...i hate to admit it guys but its true...if light is less..the plants lose their original shape and structure. So, the more light, the shorter the plant gets and more bushy it gets if you do enough pruning.

Take a scissor and cut all the stem plants into half and plant them next to each other. You need more plants.
Regards,
Subhadeep

aninda wrote:I believe in karma. That means I can do bad things to people I don't like and assume they deserved it.
el batty

Postby sid » Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:57 am

There's no need to tear down the tank, it doesn't look bad at all. For starters you could upgrade to a better light source - T5 or LED. and run it for a continuous stretch of time. The break in between is baffling. if you're worried about heat then why do you have a heater? Also the power filter is unnecessary for the tank size. I wouldn't worry about CO2 or ferts at such an early stage. Let the tank establish itself first.
sid
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby Sayanta » Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:47 pm

this is 2 feet long tank.its not big but not so small either.thanks for saying its not looking bad.but the 3 cobomba strands keep on growing like that.i am just tired of cutting those.thinking about removing them. and also the big leafed plants from the left.and 36 watts for 16-17 gallons isn't that sufficient with DIY Co2? will look for upgrading. About ferts i didn't worry about them in the first month, but the tank is now more than 3 months old and the holes in the leaves showing deficiency of nutrients.
Thanks -- Sayanta
Sayanta
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby Tirtha » Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:19 pm

No need to redo the tank. The problem is High light, less plants and low CO2.

Fill up the tank with lots of fast growing plants. Don't leave any empty space. Change the CO2 mix frequently.

Get some chemicals to dose. You will get a beautiful tank.
Regards,
Tirtha

A Bad Attitude is like a Flat Tyre. You cannot go anywhere until you change it.
Tirtha
Admin
Admin

Postby Sayanta » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:32 pm

thanks tirtha...will do the same...suggest some foreground plants as u can see the foreground is empty...and the tank is hair algea infested...though with frequent water changes and by removing the visibles it's now under control but i also feel the tank is empty...someone from kolkata help me get some chemical to make atleast 1 bottle PMDD solution and some glutaraldehyde...plant suggestions are also welcome..
Thanks -- Sayanta
Sayanta
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby el batty » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:09 am

that blank area would have been perfect for glosso or HC. But dunno how it would do when glut will be introduced. So, do check before buying. I heard some crypts melt when glut is introduced in a tank...not sure but same with glosso too maybe..do check as am a novice too. :|
Regards,
Subhadeep

aninda wrote:I believe in karma. That means I can do bad things to people I don't like and assume they deserved it.
el batty

Postby Sayanta » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:39 am

dosing glut is not an essential as of now. i read in a post that all the algeas have a life cycle of 4-6 weeks. that may be the reason or the frequent water changes somehow the algeas are in control now. but i need ferts now as the plants are growing with holes on their leaves and red spots and many other symptoms of lower nutrient levels. and i am afraid that algea will come back if i start dosing.
regarding foreground plants. will glosso or hc grow with DIY co2? if yes then where to get some? and i am in real need of fertilizers. someone, someone :(. either tell me where to get(not 500gms) or show some of your kindness.:)
Thanks -- Sayanta
Sayanta
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby el batty » Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:08 am

as per my knowledge ferts has nothing to fo with algae..
Regards,
Subhadeep

el batty

Postby Sayanta » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:11 am

@subhadeep: did you start your planted tank with foreground plants 8-) which you were about to start this sunday? where did you get your plants from? and what fertilizers are you using?:)
Thanks -- Sayanta
Sayanta
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Next

Return to Planted Tank Discussion