Planted Discus Tank

Discuss anything related to aquatic plants and aquascaping
Forum rules
Before you start posting in this forum, will suggest you to go through the forum rules
HERE

Planted Discus Tank

Postby iran » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:07 am

After Keeping a 3 ft planted Tank mostly with Cardinal Tetra's and Rummy Nose Tetra for more than 5 years, now I am planning to dismantle this setup and start a new setup altogether. I am planning to have a 5ft x 2 ft x 2 ft. tank with Discus, I have two choices in my mind and need suggestion.....

1). Tank with only driftwood's
2). Planted Tank.

I do not personal like BARE BOTTOM Tank, thou I understand this is the IDEAL setup for Discuss. Please also suggest the tank background color (Black/Blue/Frosted). I am planning to use my current setup external filter (SUNSUN HB 302) along with another same filter. I also have a AquaZonic T5 (90 cm 39Wx4) along with my ISTA co2 set up and off course my tank inhabitants. (30 Cardinal and 12 Rummy Nose).

Please suggest...........
User avatar
iran
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC
 
Posts: 147
Images: 3
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:19 am
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 2 times

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter Share on Orkut Orkut

Re: Planted Discus Tank

Postby avik » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:01 am

Planted with discus is not recommended atleast for the beginners. Better u start to grow the discus first in a barebottom tank..then start setting up the tank after 6 months. Best of luck bro.
User avatar
avik
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC
 
Posts: 460
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:51 am
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 24 times

Re: Planted Discus Tank

Postby iran » Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:08 pm

Thanks Avik Bro. But don't you think that will be little difficult, first 6 months BB and then again changing the setup??
User avatar
iran
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC
 
Posts: 147
Images: 3
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:19 am
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Planted Discus Tank

Postby Achintya » Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:20 pm

You can check my 'Discus Database' article once.

For long run, go for low tech planted tank with discus. try to keep anubias, bolbitis, java fern dominated tank. Also for discus, you can choose any LSS, leopard, snakeskin, turquoise sp. Though I would prefer, discus with sandy substrate and driftwoods only.
The Best Revenge is Massive Success
User avatar
Achintya
KAC Senior Member
KAC Senior Member
 
Posts: 4356
Images: 11
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:40 am
Location: Kolkata
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 10 times

Re: Planted Discus Tank

Postby avik » Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:29 am

iran wrote:Thanks Avik Bro. But don't you think that will be little difficult, first 6 months BB and then again changing the setup??

After they grow to a descent size, they become hardy..play with the plants after that. Ferts and all those things for plants might affect their growth and shape.
User avatar
avik
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC
 
Posts: 460
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:51 am
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 24 times

Re: Planted Discus Tank

Postby iran » Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:45 am

Achintya wrote:You can check my 'Discus Database' article once.

For long run, go for low tech planted tank with discus. try to keep anubias, bolbitis, java fern dominated tank. Also for discus, you can choose any LSS, leopard, snakeskin, turquoise sp. Though I would prefer, discus with sandy substrate and driftwoods only.


Thank You Achintya..... very helpful advise from a expert like you.... can you please suggest about the filtration (I have mentioned my intention..... is it required??)
User avatar
iran
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC
 
Posts: 147
Images: 3
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:19 am
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Planted Discus Tank

Postby iran » Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:27 am

avik wrote:
iran wrote:Thanks Avik Bro. But don't you think that will be little difficult, first 6 months BB and then again changing the setup??

After they grow to a descent size, they become hardy..play with the plants after that. Ferts and all those things for plants might affect their growth and shape.


Yes you are right Avik.... may be I can go for such species of plant which does not required ferts.....
User avatar
iran
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC
 
Posts: 147
Images: 3
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:19 am
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Planted Discus Tank

Postby Achintya » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:01 pm

iran wrote: can you please suggest about the filtration (I have mentioned my intention..... is it required??)

If you are planning for 5*2*2 tank, then instead of Sunsun HW302, go for 2 HW 304.
The Best Revenge is Massive Success
User avatar
Achintya
KAC Senior Member
KAC Senior Member
 
Posts: 4356
Images: 11
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:40 am
Location: Kolkata
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 10 times

Re: Planted Discus Tank

Postby iran » Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:37 am

Achintya wrote:
iran wrote: can you please suggest about the filtration (I have mentioned my intention..... is it required??)

If you are planning for 5*2*2 tank, then instead of Sunsun HW302, go for 2 HW 304.


Thanks Achintya..... Can you suggest where I will get ADA La Plata Sand in Kolkata....
User avatar
iran
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC
 
Posts: 147
Images: 3
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:19 am
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Planted Discus Tank

Postby Achintya » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:07 am

Ask Gautam Gupta, distributor of ADA in Eastern region. Officially his shop should be opened by 3rd week of September.
The Best Revenge is Massive Success
User avatar
Achintya
KAC Senior Member
KAC Senior Member
 
Posts: 4356
Images: 11
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:40 am
Location: Kolkata
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 10 times

Next

Return to Planted Tank Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest