Floating Plants for channa tank

Discuss anything related to aquatic plants and aquascaping
Forum rules
Before you start posting in this forum, will suggest you to go through the forum rules
HERE

Floating Plants for channa tank

Postby el batty » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:22 am

@ Sid da and Avik da, how does duckweed serve as a floating plant for channa tank?

@ All planted guys, I think it can be made available from any stagnant pond, i even saw a pond in amarpalli which is full of this species. But one thing worries me. Will this alter the whole water chemistry? Hope this is not what causes the water to turn green in ponds.

What other options of floating plants can be kept for a channa tank? I won't be keeping hyacinth at all as i don't want to point out to folks that i am keeping "shol"'s cousin. Something fancy and classy!

Giant duckweek seemed nice to look at and good texture too, makes it look uniform and will hopefully cover the whole surface. But i also fear that it will totally block the light for the vals and amazons.

Feasible solutions please guys!
Regards,
Subhadeep

aninda wrote:I believe in karma. That means I can do bad things to people I don't like and assume they deserved it.
el batty

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter Share on Orkut Orkut

Re: Floating Plants for channa tank

Postby tigermath » Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:38 am

I am also very much interested in the topic. :)
Regards,

Avik

**Dried testicles of POACHERS cure cancer**
tigermath
KAC Senior Member
KAC Senior Member

Postby sid » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:01 am

Duckweed is perfect and the most widely used floating plant by Channakeepers world wide. Why will it alter water chemistry? It's a regular plant with a difference. The green water in ponds is probably due to sediments and organic matter. However Duckweed is not as easy as it looks to cultivate. They need little surface disturbance which means no oxygen pump and a good source of light initially. It's tough to get them started but once they do you will have very very happy channas.

Hyacinth is hardier and a fast grower and a good option. I have used Hyacinth personally but it died when i tried to prune it. Another option is water lettuce. it's a good looking version of the hyacinth.

if you're going to keep Vals and swords then you don't really need a floating cover, the Vals will take care of this. Let them grow long enough to spread on the surface and voila you have a floating cover.

Basically if i lived in Cal i would go to the countryside and pick up any floating plant and put it in my Channa tank. Unfortunately here in Bombay we don't have that luxury as the countryside is far away.
sid
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby tigermath » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:58 am

Water lettuce is a good idea. And Subhadeep, you can try aponogenton bulbs. Within few days they cover the whole water surface, but you may not like the structure of the plants. Check the photos in net. I kept them in the geo tank for few weeks.
Regards,

Avik

tigermath
KAC Senior Member
KAC Senior Member

Postby el batty » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:44 am

Actually the scape i had in mind for my channa tank was something different. Vals are no doubt tall and if left unattended they'd take care of the surface, but i was kinda hoping for a neat look with vals 3-4" below water level maximum and a thin layer of duckweed. This way there will be a complete gap of over 3" on the top level and rest taken care by amazons and vals.

But then again, duckweed would block the light for vals and amazons and this could cause rots.
Regards,
Subhadeep

aninda wrote:I believe in karma. That means I can do bad things to people I don't like and assume they deserved it.
el batty

Postby sid » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:32 am

See a floating cover works with low light plants like anubias, ferns etc. It wont work with Vals because the Vals will outgrow the duckweed and compete for light. Duckweed is fragile in the beginning while Vals are robust and adapt faster and if left unattended will dominate the surface leaving no room for the duckweed
sid
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby el batty » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:40 am

Any other species along with Vals and Amazons? Something fancy yet cheap that would make the tank look soothing.
Regards,
Subhadeep

el batty

Postby tigermath » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:31 pm

aponogenton.
Regards,

Avik

tigermath
KAC Senior Member
KAC Senior Member

Postby el batty » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:52 pm

fern types..would look good near/on woods.
Regards,
Subhadeep

el batty

Return to Planted Tank Discussion