Another Planted Attempt Planning

Discuss anything related to aquatic plants and aquascaping
Forum rules
Before you start posting in this forum, will suggest you to go through the forum rules
HERE

Another Planted Attempt Planning

Postby Rohan » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:36 pm

Hello guys.. With a very heavy heart had to dismantle my planted tank a few weeks ago. But this gave me more zeal to go for a planted tank in time ahead.This time will be keeping ONLY 1 tank but a planted one. Need some serious advice and tips from the planted guys out here. Here goes my initial phase of the planning :

Tank Size : 24*12*12

Substrate : DIY (Laterite + Humus Plus + Cocopeat + Soilrite + Large grained sand for topping)

Query -> What should be the layers in which they should be used like which layer first and so on?

Light : 36 PLL or 24W T5 HO

Query -> For which light should i go? I also have to think about the temperature during summer so my affinity is towards T5's.

CO2 : DIY

Dosing : PMDD or EI

Query -> Which one should i follow?

Micro : Which Micro fert. should i use for satisfactory result(Initially used Rexolin CXK)?

Plants : Probables(C.Wendtii,C.Parva,M.Hirsuta,Riccia,H.Difformis,Rotala Rotundifolia Green,S.Subulata,H.Leucocephala,HM,H.Corymbosa,Anubias Barteri Var. Nana)

Query -> Any suggestions or any other addition keeping in mind the summer temperatures.

Will be starting during August if everything goes fine.
Rohan

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter Share on Orkut Orkut

Re: Another Planted Attempt Planning

Postby soumyadipta9 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:02 pm

Great !!!
But wish you'd started it now, could've followed u :|

I posted a similar query about substrate myself in another forum (aquapetz.com) & was suggested a combination of:
Bottom layer- Humus Plus/Cocopeat, Middle layer- laterite+soilrite combo & finally, as usual, inert topping layer (By Rajiv Ji--> @Scorpio)

Will be looking forward to more inputs from the experts on this topic..
Deep

--I solemnly swear I'm up to no good--
soumyadipta9
KAC Freak
KAC Freak

Postby rahul » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:37 pm

crypts are a very good choice.they can tolerate this heat. marsilea could be at risk if calcutta becomes something like jaisalmer next yr.stick to a crypt paradise. low maintenace.forget abt C02.No micros if u want to. less water changes. only a rich substrate could make ur tank do nuts.
rahul

Postby abhirup » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:38 pm

with the height of your tank there is no need to go for T5HO..remerber T5HO produce a good amount of heat..PLLs will be more than sufficient..even T8 will do at this height...
and regarding diy substrate composition i have just written a post that i used in my tanks earlier with significant results...check my post in soumyadipta's thread..
abhirup
Admin
Admin

Postby Rohan » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:23 am

i would say if you want to use peat, then the bottom layer should be made of peat..a very thin layer...the next upper layer (about an inch max )will consist of soilrite and laterite mixed in the ration of 2:1 by weight respectively...if you use humus...then make the 3rd layer(also a thin layer ) with humus and 4mm sand gravel..top the these layer with sandgravel( the sandgravel layer must be atleast 2inch thick..so that during plantation or disturbances in the substrate the lower layers are not disturbed...) I would say eve in the sand gravel layer , divide it into 2 parts..the lower level with 4mm gravel and the upper with 2mm

So should i too follow this Abhirup da?
Rohan

Postby soumyadipta9 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:44 am

Rohan wrote:
i would say if you want to use peat, then the bottom layer should be made of peat..a very thin layer...the next upper layer (about an inch max )will consist of soilrite and laterite mixed in the ration of 2:1 by weight respectively...if you use humus...then make the 3rd layer(also a thin layer ) with humus and 4mm sand gravel..top the these layer with sandgravel( the sandgravel layer must be atleast 2inch thick..so that during plantation or disturbances in the substrate the lower layers are not disturbed...) I would say eve in the sand gravel layer , divide it into 2 parts..the lower level with 4mm gravel and the upper with 2mm

So should i too follow this Abhirup da?

Called Buro'da today. He's out of soilrite :(.
But great news, full Rs 40 discount on a 9l bag of ADA Amazonia :lol:
Deep

soumyadipta9
KAC Freak
KAC Freak

Postby Rohan » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:11 pm

That's a GREAT discount :P

Gosh where to find the stuffs now :(
Rohan

Postby soumyadipta9 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:01 pm

Yup, thats going to be a problem.
Laterite from bappa Da, soilrite- dunno (abhirup Da said the original dealer of soilrite is located somewhere near hazra more), humus plus- dunno, cocopeat- dunno, gravel- either buy @ 25/kg or find an alternative source which, again, I don't know. :lol:
Deep

soumyadipta9
KAC Freak
KAC Freak

Postby Rohan » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:21 pm

I can manage cocopeat and humus plus but don't have any leads on soilrite.As far as gravel are concerned will visit galiff a few weeks later and inquire again :P
Rohan

Postby soumyadipta9 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:50 pm

Rohan wrote:I can manage cocopeat and humus plus but don't have any leads on soilrite.As far as gravel are concerned will visit galiff a few weeks later and inquire again :P

That's good. Plz give me the source for cocopeat & humus plus. Will ask Jayottam'da about soilrite.
Deep

soumyadipta9
KAC Freak
KAC Freak

Next

Return to Planted Tank Discussion