Beat the Heat

Discuss anything related to aquatic plants and aquascaping
Forum rules
Before you start posting in this forum, will suggest you to go through the forum rules
HERE

Beat the Heat

Postby Rohan » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:50 am

I want to throw this question to the planted tank keepers of Kolkata specially as here in addition to super hot temperature we experience super high humidity also which is a nightmare for the planted tank keepers.

In this recent ongoing summer what are your tank temperatures?

What problems are you facing with plants in this weather and with which plants specifically ?

And what measure you are taking to control the temperature?

Want individuals experience on this one.
Rohan

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter Share on Orkut Orkut

Re: Beat the Heat

Postby abhirup » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:52 am

Nice thread Rohan…This is problem that we are all facing in this part of the world during summer…
And since the humidity levels are so high here in Kolkata, it increases the pain even more..
Now the question is how to face this challenge…To do that one needs to keep few things in mind.

Effect on CO2 solubility at higher temperature
With increase in temperature solubility of CO2 decreases in water. But as the temperature increases, the rate of photosynthesis increases. At temperatures above 32 degrees Celsius, the rate of photosynthesis will start to level off and then begin to decrease as the temperature continues to increase. To meet the requirement of photosysnthesis, more CO2 is required. So one needs to increase the CO2 during summer. It is generally observed that at 30C one needs to increase the CO2 by about 30-40% than that at 20C.
Effect on O2 solubility at higher temperature
With increase in temperature solubility of O2 decreases. This is a very critical thing as it has strong effects on respiration in fishes and plants and also the bacterial colony in the tank.
Under normal atmospheric pressure, at 20C, 9.1 mg of O2 dissolves in 1l freshwater,
at 25C, 8.2 mg of O2 dissolves in 1l freshwater,
at 30C, 7.5 mg of O2 dissolves in 1l freshwater.
On the other hand, oxygen consumption of livestock doubles for each 10ºC rise in
temperature. But oxygen availability is reduced as its solubility is also reduced by the
temperature rise.
Respiration rate and metabolism in plants fishes and bacteria increases with increase in temperature. Hence sometimes it is very essential to supply oxygen in the tank through a air stone specially when the lights are off and there is no photosynthesis.
Effect on bacteria with rise in temperature
The temperature for optimum growth of nitrifying bacteria is between 25-30° C. Growth rate is decreased by 50% at 18°C. Also if the temperature increases considerably, it will have adverse effects on the bacterial colony. At 49°C this bacterial colony dies. As rate of metabolism in the bacteria increases with increase in temperature, demand for Dissolved oxygen increases.
Frequent water changes helps to address the issue as it brings down the tank temperature to some extend and increases the Dissolved Oxygen in it.

Another big issue is the frequent power cut. This can cause havoc in the tank if it lasts for a long period of time. It is handy to have a pump ready at hand which is driven by batteries. Incase if it is not available and the power cut stays for long, water changes or even splashing the water surface with hands periodically helps..Due to splashing of the water surface oxygen gets dissolved in water.

So the key thing to remember is to add more oxygen, more CO2 and more frequent water changes.
Another thing to remember is that to meet the requirement of higher photosynthesis rate, sufficient amount of proper light is also required. But this can raise the temperature of water. Installing cooling fans that can dissipate the heat radiated from the light source over the water surface helps. LED which produces very less heat is a good option..
abhirup
Admin
Admin

Postby parthapratim22 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:19 am

nice and important information provided, thanks
Frogfoot ADnS, enquiry call 9953551924
https://www.facebook.com/frogfootaquariumdesigns
parthapratim22
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby Rohan » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:20 pm

Excellent information Abhirup da.

Could you please share some details on how you personally take care of the temperature? What temp have you managed to keep in your planted tank and with which ways? Also since here its too humid fans on't work with equal efficiency every day,so what you do in those times?
Rohan

Postby abhirup » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:27 pm

I use cooling fans in my tank...change water regularly..float ice bottles in the tank...Also i have moved all my tanks to the ground floor of my house which is comparatively cooler than the top floor...
These things have helped me bringing down the tank temperature a bit...
Infact in one tank i am still maintaining a hc carpet now doing these.. ;)
abhirup
Admin
Admin

Return to Planted Tank Discussion