Placement of canister filter

It's all about nutrition and hygiene. Talk about food, filters etc here
Forum rules
Before you start posting in this forum, will suggest you to go through the forum rules
HERE

Placement of canister filter

Postby Zeeshan » Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:02 pm

Hi Friends

I will be setting up a new canister filter for my tank. Just wanted to know, if it is really necessary that the canister filter should be placed below the tank? I have attached the current pic below, here the canister (covered in poly bag as it is leaking) is below the tank. The new canister that I will install is a bit bigger than this and so the head of the canister will be a bit above what it is at present. Will that pose any problem?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Zeeshan
You only live once. Do it right. Own an aquarium :)
Zeeshan
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter Share on Orkut Orkut

Re: Placement of canister filter

Postby bappa » Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:39 pm

Hello

In and out at opposite ends will result to more water flow and water circulation.
Thanks
BAPPA....

Math. The only place where people buy 60 watermelons and no one wonders why....:)
bappa
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby Zeeshan » Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:43 pm

Yes correct, Bappa. Because of space issues, it is a bit difficult for me to do it so I have placed a wave-maker at the opposite end to make up for this.
Zeeshan
Zeeshan
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby mr_feynman » Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:28 pm

I believe you can't place a canister above water level.
Canister inlet is a full siphon and outlet is pushing water back in to tank.

Reg. canister outlet to the tank; the canister/pump placed as close as the tank water level the less you have head pressure loss, resulting in to greater flow rate -- which is good.

As bappa said, within the tank, place the inlet and outlet at two opposite sides of the tank, preferably canister outlet at left front and canister inlet at right back.
I can see that the only constraint here is the length of the hose to do such an arrangement.
You can go to wellington street with the sample of your canister hose (should be 3/4 inch or 17 mm); ask for chemical free best quality transparent pipe. Grab an one or two meter hose.
Now, how would you check chemical free hose? Those which are chem free are not sticky while you touch and it costs little bit more than the regular chem treated hose.
mr_feynman
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby Zeeshan » Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:10 pm

Feynman, thanks so much for your reply, very informative.

In the first sentence, when you say that " you can't place a canister above water level", are you meaning the the surface of the water? If it is the water surface then my canister placement should be fine as it is much below the water surface. Please confirm this once.

Regarding the placement of the hose at the two opposite ends, a small problem here is that my suction cups for the hoses won't work at the back of the tank as a 3D background is installed. Plus, there is a strip of glass that has been fitted at the back of my tank running all the way from one end to the other (this was done to set up a top filter earlier). This would prevent any hose to actually be fitted properly there. So the only option left is to install it at one side and it has worked pretty fine for me. That is why I have placed a wavemaker at the opposite end to ensure there are no dead-spots in the tank.

Let me know what you think.
Zeeshan
Zeeshan
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby bappa » Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:42 am

@Feynman good elaborating post ..
Thanks
BAPPA....

Math. The only place where people buy 60 watermelons and no one wonders why....:)
bappa
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby mr_feynman » Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:52 pm

Zeeshan wrote:Feynman, thanks so much for your reply, very informative.

In the first sentence, when you say that " you can't place a canister above water level", are you meaning the the surface of the water? If it is the water surface then my canister placement should be fine as it is much below the water surface. Please confirm this once.

Regarding the placement of the hose at the two opposite ends, a small problem here is that my suction cups for the hoses won't work at the back of the tank as a 3D background is installed. Plus, there is a strip of glass that has been fitted at the back of my tank running all the way from one end to the other (this was done to set up a top filter earlier). This would prevent any hose to actually be fitted properly there. So the only option left is to install it at one side and it has worked pretty fine for me. That is why I have placed a wavemaker at the opposite end to ensure there are no dead-spots in the tank.

Let me know what you think.

confirmed -- water level means surface of water! Your canister hight is good enough.

Reg. inlet-outlet arrangement: Can you try out this on opposite side glasses. I meant side glasses only when said "left front" and "right back". ;))
This arrangement will position inlet and outlet at two opposite corners diagonally.
mr_feynman
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby Zeeshan » Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:37 am

Ha ha..okay i see..thanks! Yes i can try that..may be next time when i set it up again..the only concern here is that it will look a bit unsightly as the two hoses would show on the outside of the tank at two opposite corners..but yes i will give it a try to see how it comes up..thanks bro :)
Zeeshan
Zeeshan
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby mr_feynman » Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:42 am

Zeeshan wrote:Ha ha..okay i see..thanks! Yes i can try that..may be next time when i set it up again..the only concern here is that it will look a bit unsightly as the two hoses would show on the outside of the tank at two opposite corners..but yes i will give it a try to see how it comes up..thanks bro :)

You are welcome.
mr_feynman
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby Zeeshan » Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:57 pm

Feynman, is it normal for a canister filter head to get a bit warm? Though this wasnt the case with my earlier filter, the new one's head is a bit warm while its running, though its almost negligible. Is it a cause for concern?
Zeeshan
Zeeshan
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Next

Return to Food and Equipments