SOS

Something is going wrong? Post here.
Forum rules
Before you start posting in this forum, will suggest you to go through the forum rules
HERE

SOS

Postby anjan507 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:26 am

my 88 litre or 23 gallon tank was running nice and smooth till a week back. had about 24 fish, mix of mollies, guppies , tetra. had not added anything new to the set up when fish started dying. losing them at a very rapid rate for past five days. been changing 20 percent water om a daily basis, with no abating of the disaster. i have even moved some fish to a smaller aquarium which had some pond fish in it. the pond fish doing fine, however the added ones have yet not been able to survive. i have more or less accepted that i have lost this battle and shall loose them all. my query is what how should i go about resetting the aquarium as also test of the water to be carried out before i add new fish again.

IMG_20171014_062130.jpg

IMG_20171014_062116.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
anjan507
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter Share on Orkut Orkut

Re: SOS

Postby anjan507 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:41 am

hv noted the mixed movement of the fishes when they are about to die. some getting lethargic and settling down at the bottom before they pass away. some cases the fish has been as if gulping at the surface. the smaller size fish have this gulping action while the slightly larger sized ones getting lethargic before passing away.
anjan507
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby anjan507 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:37 am

even an SOS goes unnoticed in this forum??? surprising indeed
anjan507
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby anjan507 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:39 am

an update. whatever the serious and severe malady it was, has toned down. past two days not lost any more fish.
anjan507
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby subhendu421 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:08 pm

Have you done the nitrate and ammonia test ?
If you donot have the Kit , get hold of Seachem Stability. It is a fantastic product for small tanks for nitrifying cycles.
subhendu421
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby anjan507 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:50 am

now that the tank has stabilised , do i need to use stability product any more? have introduced new fish and they are doing fine past three days.
anjan507
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby subhendu421 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:26 pm

I would suggest using stability for 3 / 4 months with every water change.

Have a good biological filter. Do not wash the biological filter. If the biological filter becomes very dirty, wash half of it once, and the next half after 1 month. This is what i do. I have two sets of biological filters. Ceramic ring and a very porus sponge. I wash them alternately after every 6 months - 1 year.
subhendu421
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby netherwinterknights » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:40 am

was this a cycled tank? or new setup? Google nitrogen cycle in aquariums for more info. What kind of filter do you have? Since there are live plants, do you also have CO2 being added? Nitrate fertilizers in the substrate?

These are all variables you will have to manage to an extent.
netherwinterknights
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby mithun » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:04 am

First of all, this is not a military forum. Writing SOS only as the topic title is very likely to give you minimum limelight contrary to what you might have intended. A meaningful title makes people wish to help you quickly.

Secondly, when you say stabilized tank, what made you reach that conclusion? your fish doing good past 3 days? I can throw u in a stinking toilet for 3 days and you would still be alive i am sure. Seeing the choice of fishes I am kinda guessing you are on a tight budget for the tank. so test kits are probably out of reach for you. In such scenario, what made you throw in 24 fishes into that tiny box? barely 80 liter water with zero filtration equipment along with 24 fishes in are no way healthy or stable tank .. more over you have thrown in quartz sand and calcium rocks in it. God knows what chemistry is cooking in there with so much ammonia. How long have you really been running the tank to even say tank is stabilized? smell the water, it will tell you!

Lastly, have you done any study on the requirements of the aforementioned fishes? while mollies and platys are hardier, fancy guppies are very less ammonia tolerant. tetras prefer solft water. Install a good filter, remove the calcium rock and quartz sand: will be my start if I were you.
Mithun
M:8583865385
Napoleon Bonaparte wrote:If you want something done in a better way, do it yourself.

My 220Gal reef journal | My 150Gal reef journal
mithun
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby anjan507 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:11 am

Thank you for the informative response. fish doing good for ten days now. may not yet be enough to reach any happy conclusion, i understand. my local fish shop had said this gravel is an inert substrate. quartz sand, am not sure , if that is what this is called in aquarium technical jargon. even the rocks he had mentioned were inert. what test kit would you suggest i get to check condition of the tank.
anjan507
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Next

Return to Diseases and Disasters